smaller batch ferment faster?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as the original gravities are the same, along with temperature and yeast pitching rate, I see no reason why a 1 gallon batch would ferment any faster than a 5 gallon. However, if you pitch the same amount of yeast that would go in a 5 gallon batch into your 1 gallon, I would think it would finish faster;this is based on the idea that there are more yeast doing the same amount of available work. If not, I would think that if the size of the batch being fermented (all other things constant), played a role in how long the fermentation would take then it would take years for Budweiser to ferment their multi-thousand gallon batches of beer! Anyway, hope this helps, cheers! :mug:

Simply by starting with 5 times the yeast concentration, the growth phase will be much shorter. Fermentation starts sooner and finishes faster.

I've pitched beer on a yeast cake and had fermentation start within 30 minutes.

Yes it's the same reason that a bomber of beer take longer than a 12 ouncer to carb and condition. Or why a "satellite" that some folks use to take hydro readings is a bad idea...it will tell you WHAT the beer ferments at, but it will be finished much faster than the 5 gallon fermenter, so it's a sucky reference.

It certainly starts faster doing a 1 gal, but I dont notice a difference in total ferm time. Each batch varies by a couple days anyway...

Back