mounting a blower motor to power my mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hexmonkey

Reaction score
I have a 1/2 HP (5kcp39mg) GE blower motor that I'd like to use for my mill. It has no threaded mounting holes as far as I can tell, and no base - probably because that's not what this motor was made for.

It does have what a google search says are "resilient rings for base mounting".

Anybody have any suggestions how I can mount this securely so I can attach a sheave and belt drive my mill? Are there standard bases made for this type of thing?

Motorizing a Malt Mill has a similar motor, but he did something weird involving some kind of round mounting plate.

If you go on line or look in a Grainger catalog they have those resilient ring mounting bases with many different mounting measurements, pick what fits your motor. My old catalog number 394 they must be past 397 by now, I see the prices from $5.88 to $9.08. They also sell those rubber mounting rings if needed for $7.00 a pair.

If you go on line or look in a Grainger catalog they have those resilient ring mounting bases with many different mounting measurements, pick what fits your motor.

Does Grainger allow sales to individuals? I remember the last time I was on the site, it said something dire-sounding about only selling to businesses and contractors...

This mounting base at Grainger looks like it could be made with some large hose clamps and flat metal stock bent into a bracket...

XL-4M754.JPG

Just a thought, but wouldn't it be easier to get a corded drill at a yard sale for $5? You could even get fancy and make a switch.

Just out of curiosity what RPM is your motor? My concern is that if your rpms are a little high, you'll be "shredding" a lot of husks... you can use a belt and a couple of pulley wheels to reduce the RPM to what ever you like.

There is always the option of putting a big hose clamp or two around the middle of the motor. It looks like a clamp for a dryer hose should be about the right size. A short piece of flat stock metal running parallel with the shaft could be anchored to a couple of small blocks of wood, which attach to whatever platform or frame. Not elegant, but pretty sturdy. After all, it's a fan motor.

I attached a pencil sharpener to a pipe with two hose clamps 17 years ago, and none of my boys or their friends have managed to knock it off yet.

Does Grainger allow sales to individuals? I remember the last time I was on the site, it said something dire-sounding about only selling to businesses and contractors...

They do not sell to the public unless you have a wholesale license, are in their system or have a friend that orders thru Grainger. Just use their number and do a Will Call in order and pay cash for it.

Use a standard motor mount and shorten it up for the shorter length motor you have.
Is that a 1,100 rpm motor or 1,750 rpm as your way over the rpm limits of your mill unless
you get the proper pulley reduction ratio.

Just out of curiosity what RPM is your motor? My concern is that if your rpms are a little high, you'll be "shredding" a lot of husks... you can use a belt and a couple of pulley wheels to reduce the RPM to what ever you like.

+1

or while you're on granger's site look at their controller modules, they'll allow you to dial control the speed of the motor, and they're a piece of cake to install. We use tons of Granger motors, mounts, and controllers at work and they're all very simple.

The motor has multiple speeds (4?) depending on which lead you connect, so if I wanted to, I could somewhat control the speed. It's marked with 1075RPM, which I would suppose is the "high" speed.

I do intend to get some pulleys and a belt to drive the mill with a reduction so I can actually mill the grain instead of sending it into orbit. :)

My only concern with the hose clamp mount is that it seems less reliable for getting the pulleys to stay in line.

Hexmonkey,

That motor looks to be a through-bolt style motor so one option would be to use long bolts to go through the holes that are in the face plates and bolt to a piece of wood or whatever. The one thing I would I would caution is that those holes are generally small and fit like an #8-32 so I would still put a board underneath for support and not just rely on the bolts to support the weight of the motor.

Hexmonkey,

My correction sorry I was off by 25 rpm's at that motor's speed.

That motor looks to be a through-bolt style motor so one option would be to use long bolts to go through the holes that are in the face plates and bolt to a piece of wood or whatever. The one thing I would I would caution is that those holes are generally small and fit like an #8-32 so I would still put a board underneath for support and not just rely on the bolts to support the weight of the motor.

I would bet that is 10-24 threaded rods just on the ends vs 8-32.
With 90 degree 14 gauge or thicker plate end mounts at both ends it would be rather solid and not move around. By then you'll be pissing around unless you have free access to a shear, break and material that $9 Grainger mount will look more attractive in cost, time and labor. Replace those bolts with all thread plus you will need to have vent holes drilled thru the end plates for motor cooling.

I recall speed control is for AC motors that have brushes not induction motors. A Milwaukee 1/2" drill motor or their industrial 1/4" porting tool grinder will run great off a POWERSTAT variable autotransformer, been using them for years doing porting work on single speed drill, grinders and porting tools. On induction motors they just layed down on torque and got hot. These autransformers are not cheap just have to get lucky at garage sales or penny markets. I'm lucky as I picked up 3 of them from 10 amp to 40 amp for $30 and almost brand new from a garage sale.

Keep an eye out for curbside trashed jogging machines as they have from 1 1/2 to 3 HP 90 volt DC ball bearing electric motors with a variable speed controller that corrects for constant rpm's with variable torque with a LED shutter that are high torque motors.

I picked up one across the street as the neighbor added a water bottle to the frame with self tapping screws that balled up and ripped apart half of the 24 wires of 22 gauge to the arrows up and down speed control plus other controls like heart rate at the top control panel. It was totally dead.

I stripped it apart and repaired the wiring it works i'll be damn. At app 400 rpm's you grab the flywheel (another great feature for grain motor use) it will slow down for less than a 1/2 second then you will feel the torque go way up, burn the glove as the LED speed controller is doing its job. I ripped apart a 2 year old $2,400 machine that looked like new but past warranty, wifey and kids wished I had it for a running again tread mill but I had grain mill motor plans. Talk about a wide rollered mill with cross hatched markings plus sealed ball bearings on 5/8" shafts as a super wide mill
of 22" x 1 7/8" diameter. This with a poly belt drive at 6.85 speed reduction.
The poly drive would take less belt tightening than a "V" belt preventing slipping with less mill bushing side loading if used as a motor / pulley only drive for your own grain mill. Think about it, a high torque constant speed motor no matter the load on it due to the speed controller plus you can vary the speed of your grain mill. Get lucky from a pissed off overweight person that gave up on running a tread mill available for free or cheap as to buy a 90 VDC motor and controller your past the 2-$300 price range. Sorry for the long NOVEL.

With 90 degree 14 gauge or thicker plate end mounts at both ends it would be rather solid and not move around. By then you'll be pissing around unless you have free access to a shear, break and material that $9 Grainger mount will look more attractive in cost, time and labor.

It's $15 now. I'll probably still buy it, though.

The motor has 4 speeds, controlled by which lead gets power. I assume the high speed is 1075, but how would I know what the lo, med-lo and med-high speeds are? I can't seem to find a spec sheet anywhere online.

Are these multi-speed blower motors designed to keep the same torque for all speeds?

I believe the torque is reduced also as you are using different windings inside the stator of the motor for the different speeds.
Go on line for the manufacture of your motor as there should be specs to the color codes showing which colors for which speeds and what color is the neutral. I bet it is a standard color for all 4 speed furnace blower motors, hell call up a heating company a shop worker would know.
I would bet a digital meter would also work to figure out which wires common and which the 4 hot speed legs.

Yeah I keep forgetting to add more money to Graingers prices as they keep jacking prices up over a catalog that is only 3 years old. I must get a newer one, sad part the newer ones show less specs on compressor pumps and othe information. This is why I keep the older catalogs. I bet they are at 399 or higher catalog numbers now. I must get their new one.

Back