Timing issues....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcbrew

Reaction score
Doing a extact recipe, stout, using grains and obviously extract. Right now, Im steeping my grains. But realized, I have a meeting to go to at 6:00pm. Any problems of removing my grain bag after 45 minutes and waiting to boil till I get home later tonight?
I'm not seeing any, but what do I know...

rcbrew said:
Doing a extact recipe, stout, using grains and obviously extract. Right now, Im steeping my grains. But realized, I have a meeting to go to at 6:00pm. Any problems of removing my grain bag after 45 minutes and waiting to boil till I get home later tonight?
I'm not seeing any, but what do I know...

Yes. There's a chance that wild yeast will start converting your wort, which may give some off tastes.

Cover it well and you'll eliminate some of the possibilities.

Cheesefood said:
Yes. There's a chance that wild yeast will start converting your wort, which may give some off tastes.

Cover it well and you'll eliminate some of the possibilities.
Fairly low, that chance. Most steeping grains contribute little, if any, fermentable sugars to the mix. If they aren't fermentable, then there is nothing that wild yeasts can jump in their with to start fermentation.

Update:
Yes, I covered the pot and everything went well. Added the extract and began boiling as usual. Completed the process about an hour and half later, pitched yeast at 70 degrees, woke up this morning to the sound of a bubbling airlock. Thanks for the reassurance.

Back