Favorite Extract Recipe ????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildcatgrad7

Reaction score
hello local homebrew brothers I am trying to decide which tastey homebrew I will be doing next. I want your guys opinion. Typically I like beers that do not take too long to age or ferment so barley wines and mead recipes im not interested in.

I would really appreciate it if some of you would share with me your favorite homebrew to make and the recipe. :tank: ohh and i cant do lagers. keep recipes to 5 gallons. gracias

mike from sd:fro:

Hefeweizens are perfect for this situation. hb_99 and I have posted recipes literally dozens of times, but it won't hurt once more:

6# wheat DME
12 IBU Hallertau hops (probably ~0.75 - 1 oz)
Hefeweizen yeast (I like Wyeast 3068)

Simple, good, and fast.

I have been experimenting with only 5 lbs wheat DME (and variations of 1 extra light DME and 4 wheat) and 7 HBUs...lighter flavor and a tad sweeter...you'll want to overcarbonate these a little for the summertime...:D

Our house session beer is a Fat Tire Clone. It's an amber ale with mild flavors, good smoothness, not too hoppy. I don't have it on my computer, but I can type it out if you're interested.

My husband's favorite beer is this one:

Left hand Sawtooth Ale

-Yeast: 1098 British - WYeast

Grain Bill:
1lb 40L Crystal
1/2 lb Victory (toasted)
3lbs Pale Extract
3lbs Munich Extract

Hop Bill:
1.5 oz Fuggle (60 min boil)
1.5 oz Golding (15 min boil)
1 oz Golding (end of boil)

Mash Schedule:
Steep grains in water 15-20 minutes at about 120-180 degrees.
Remove and add malt extracts.
Bring to boil. Follow hop schedule.

Let cool to under 80 degrees and pitch yeast. Aerate well! Use the 1-2-3 method.
Other yeast you could use are: Safale s-04 dry yeast, or any British strain. I like the Safale.

If you let me know what type of beer you are looking for, that would help. I have lots of recipes that take 5 weeks to be drinkable. I don't like wheat beers, fruit beers, or hefes, so the others will have to help you out there!

Lorena

Miss Denise's Pepsi Beer

1 can John Bull Dark extract
3 lb Munton's Dry dark extract
10 HBU worth of Hallertau (60 min)
2 tsp spruce essence - 5 min

whatever yeast you like

mmmm.... looks like a Pepsi.

lorenae said:
Our house session beer is a Fat Tire Clone. It's an amber ale with mild flavors, good smoothness, not too hoppy. I don't have it on my computer, but I can type it out if you're interested.

My husband's favorite beer is this one:

Left hand Sawtooth Ale

Grain Bill:
1lb 40L Crystal
1/2 lb Victory (toasted)
3lbs Pale Extract
3lbs Munich Extract

Hop Bill:

Mash Schedule:

Let cool to under 80 degrees and pitch yeast. Aerate well! Use the 1-2-3 method.
Other yeast you could use are: Safale s-04 dry yeast, or any British strain. I like the Safale.

If you let me know what type of beer you are looking for, that would help. I have lots of recipes that take 5 weeks to be drinkable. I don't like wheat beers, fruit beers, or hefes, so the others will have to help you out there!

Lorena

I love Sawtooth! Thanks, Lor.

I was pretty impressed with Brewers Best Continental Pilsner. Yeah I know, it's a kit, but until I get the confidence to do it and find a place where I can order individual "parts,".....well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

lorenae said:
...My husband's favorite beer is this one:

Left hand Sawtooth Ale

Grain Bill:
1lb 40L Crystal
1/2 lb Victory (toasted)
3lbs Pale Extract
3lbs Munich Extract

Hop Bill:

Mash Schedule:

Lorena

This recipe sounds good to me.

Where do you get the "3lbs Munich Extract" from, if you don't mind me asking? I'm having a bit of a problem finding it.

Thank for your help, Lorena:)

drinker

drinker said:
This recipe sounds good to me.

Where do you get the "3lbs Munich Extract" from, if you don't mind me asking? I'm having a bit of a problem finding it.

Thank for your help, Lorena:)

drinker

I can't remember exactly where I got it, but probably at Austin Home Brew because that's where I order most of my stuff from.

Truly, a great beer. I read over the original recipe, and the original calls for only a 45 minute boil. I always do 60 minutes, though. If you're concerned it could be too bitter, we could ask an "expert" on the board to run it through promash or other software to get the expected IBUs. It's a house favorite.

Lorena

lorenae said:
I can't remember exactly where I got it, but probably at Austin Home Brew because that's where I order most of my stuff from.

Truly, a great beer. I read over the original recipe, and the original calls for only a 45 minute boil. I always do 60 minutes, though. If you're concerned it could be too bitter, we could ask an "expert" on the board to run it through promash or other software to get the expected IBUs. It's a house favorite.

Lorena
You could also just add the hops at the 45 minute mark after a 15 minute "hopless" boil.

All of the extract recipes in my signature turned out really well. Try the Midnight Oil if you like dark beers or the Thunderstruck if you want a late season pumpkin brew. Believe it or not, I really liked Alton Brown's extract recipe exactly as he brews it (boiling the grains and all!).

The White Christmas Ale is a future brew, but it's a big AG brew. Beerluvngrl has the original extract version of it.

lorenae said:
I can't remember exactly where I got it, but probably at Austin Home Brew because that's where I order most of my stuff from...
Lorena

Thanks for the reply, Lorena.:)

I was looking at Northern Brewer's catalog and found this product:
Alexander's Malt Extract Syrup. Alexander's Pale Malt extract is the preferred base extract for any beer. This is the same extract available in cans, except we pack it in our convenient 6 pound bottles to save you a little bit of money. Alexander's Munich Extract is unavailable in cans, and is ideal for use in dark, malty lagers.

#2012 NB Munich Malt Syrup 6.0# from Alexander's $13.50 EACH

It looks like this is what I'm looking for - what do ya'll think?

Yuri_Rage wrote:
All of the extract recipes in my signature turned out really well. Try the Midnight Oil if you like dark beers or the Thunderstruck if you want a late season pumpkin brew.
With my somewhat limited tasting of the different styles, so far I prefer a full bodied, very hoppy-taste. I very much enjoy a quality IPA. Just no scared-water, thin types like budweiser and those characterless styles.;)

Thanks again everyone.:mug:

drinker

Thanks for sharing the recipes and opinions, Lorenae and all others in this great community.:rockin:

drinker

:ban: these recipes look great guys thanks for the input.

:off: I just landed about an hour ago from hawaii (kona) went to the kona brewery bar and grill just wanted everyone to know this place rocks. awesome food 12 microbrews on tap by the beach i was in heaven. They had this coffee bean stout that was very good wish i had the recipe.

I'm thinking about doing this IPA I already have the hops from my first batch so it will be cheap to do.

In my other primary im going to do the first hefe recipe that sounds good and easy. i want to add some lemon flavor to my hefe but i dont want to over do it. I have 3 nice sized lemon trees in front of my house so lemons are free. Is it smart to use lemon in your beer or should it just be used at the end when your drinking it? give me some ideas on how i should use my lemons. gracias:tank:

Baron von BeeGee said:
You could also just add the hops at the 45 minute mark after a 15 minute "hopless" boil.

I'm not sure what the utility in this would be. Boiling hopless wort would just carmelize some of the sugar, but is really unnecessary for other matters such as sterilization. If you're only adding hops for 45 minutes, then just boil for 45 min...unless you just want to prolong your beautiful brew session. Another suggestion would be to decrease your hops addition to keep your IBUs the same for a 60 min hops addition. This might save you a dollar or so.

Marc.

Back