Racking trippel after secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unferth

Reaction score
This beer has been in secondary for over a month, if it were a wine I'd rack it off the lees for another month or 3. If it was a lower gravity beer, I'd bottle it by now.

It's at 9 %. Any suggestions?

How long was it in primary?? I'm bottling my Trippel tomorrow after 7 weeks in primary no secondary. SG 1.086 It's now at 1.015 and stable.... of course I'm looking at at least 2-3 months bottle conditioning I say go for it and bottle

It was in the primary for about two weeks; it took a long time to ferment down. It's stable now at 1.005 and darn tasty. It's been sitting on coriander, orange peel and French oak for the month, which have really added some complexity.

I guess my question is two-pronged and valid for you too, stvo: should I bulk age longer in a carboy, and if so, should I be racking off of lees every month as one would do with a wine?

There shouldn't be much sedimentation in secondary, so no need to rack it. If you're finding lots of sedimentation, racking after 4 weeks is probably a good idea. Two weeks in primary is short, I'd have left it 4. Maybe one racking is a good idea, as yeast has likely settled out.

If you can, I'd also age it at lager temps, about 40.

I guess my question is two-pronged and valid for you too, stvo: should I bulk age longer in a carboy, and if so, should I be racking off of lees every month as one would do with a wine?

OK.... it's not wine, but a very "outstanding beer" if you want to age/bulk/condition it I would just leave it where it's at and don't move it.... way too many risks, infection wise.... Personally, I'm good on bottle conditioning..... 3 months minimum once it's carbed up which I don't expect for at least 8-10 weeks so I'm going to be saving most to try next year and the year after....

Latest posts

Back