North Carolina (raleigh/durham area) lunch gathering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walker

I use secondaries. :p
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
BeeGee and I are planning to get together for lunch in the RTP area on M,W, or F during the week of Jan 30th through Feb 3rd.

I sent a PM to Kai to see if he was interested in meeting up with us, but we're not sure if there are any other HBers in the area that might also be available one of those days.

If you live in the area and can swing a lunch meeting in or near the RTP area, let us know!

Looking at my calendar of meetings, it looks like my preference for day-of-week would be (best listed first): Wednesday, Monday, then Friday.

I can't make it on Tu or Th b/c of carpooling issues (no car for me on those days). I have a meeting on Monday at 2pm, so that could work. However, I have a 1pm meeting on Friday so that would be cutting it pretty short for me.

-walker

Do you guys already have an idea where you want to go. I don't know to many places that would be good for lunch and that have decent beer on tap.

Except for Mr Dunderbak's at the Crabtree Mall. It's a decent place whith a good selection of bottled beer as well as beer on tap, but it's in a Mall which is somewhat of a turn-off for me.

Kai

I'm pretty much right at the intersection of I-40 and NC-55, but I did not have any specific place in mind. Also, I've only lived here for 6 months and don't know the area very well, so I wouldn't even be able to suggest a place to be honest.

-walker

So it sound as if between RTP and cary would be best. I would have to see what the options are.

Kai

In terms of a place with good beer pickings are pretty slim, although there are plenty of good lunch places otherwise. We could trek up to the James Joyce in Durham which is really only about 15 minutes from Walker and has a pretty good lunch and Irish beers on tap. There's an "Irish" bar on Airport Blvd but I wasn't all that impressed with it. If we punt on a wet lunch I know decent places.

I was thinking the same. It's just do damn hard to find places with good beer selection here and I don't want to trek all the way to Durham for lunch. This was much better up in NE when I still used to live there.

Kai

The real problem is not the larger area, but RTP which for years hasn't had a population after 5pm and hence no cool pubs...hopefully that changes with Morrisville's growth. What about Neomonde on hwy 54 in Morrisville? That's about midway for everybody and should please most palates. I'm pretty sure they have bottled beer, as well. There's also a good Indian buffet on Airport Blvd.

In any case, this is probably sufficiently advertised here for anybody in the area so we can take it to PM's and figure it out.

So, when and where next week?

I'm fine with Wednesday, but wouldn't mind Monday either since there won't be any lunchtime catering leftovers for me at work ;).

Ragarding a place, Neomonde (Lebanese food) sounds good to me.

Kai

Kai said:
Ragarding a place, Neomonde (Lebanese food) sounds good to me.
Just got back from there...I'm stuffed. It sounds good to me, and either day works so I'll let Walker cast the deciding vote.

homebrewer_99 said:
So where were all you guys when I was living in Raeford (near Fayetteville)?
I grew up in Dunn, just north of Fayetteville, if you know where that is. Family ran a lumber business in Wade.

we should devise a HomeBrewForum.com weekend somewhere somewhat centraly located. maybe by the area that has the most active members? just a thought. that would be a hoot! i'd coordinate if we get enough interested. schedules would be a bbbeeeee--aaaatttcchhhh.

DeRoux's Broux said:
we should devise a HomeBrewForum.com weekend somewhere somewhat centraly located. maybe by the area that has the most active members? just a thought. that would be a hoot! i'd coordinate if we get enough interested. schedules would be a bbbeeeee--aaaatttcchhhh.

A noble thought, but it is diffucult enough for me to get away for a few weekends per year to go climbing or do other outdorsy things, because of wife and kid. Though I would be interested.

Kai

DeRoux's Broux said:

Shoot, it would have to be in the middle of the atlantic ocean! We have so many Texans and UK'ers that a barge in the middle of the ocean would be the only logical place!

Dude said:
Shoot, it would have to be in the middle of the atlantic ocean! We have so many Texans and UK'ers that a barge in the middle of the ocean would be the only logical place!

......Bermuda? :D

I'd vote for the Chicago area...I need a pizza fix, and I'm sure Bill wouldn't have a problem hosting all 3000 of us. :D

El Pistolero said:
I'd vote for the Chicago area...I need a pizza fix, and I'm sure Bill wouldn't have a problem hosting all 3000 of us. :D

chicago would be cool. people can fly cheap on Southwest to O'hare. good brewpubs.....DEEP DISH! WOO-HOO! how 'bout it HB 99! got room for us?:D

Taking my thread back.

We've been using PMs a bit for organizing this, but I noticed that if you send a PM to multiple people at the same time, the recipients cannot reply to ALL people involved, they can only reply to the one who sent the message.

Let's leave all discussion in this thread.

Kai is in.
BeeGee is in.
Walker is in.

There's a new guy (BOSTONBREWIN) that we're extending the invitation to.

The place is some Indian restaurant near the airport.

Do I have all of that correct so far?

-walker

New Guy here....
I'm in for lunch on Wednesday. Is this a "liquid" lunch? Hope so. If someone will pass along the name and address of the restaurant i will see y'all there at noon. I'll be the 6'3" 245 pound dude with the clueless expression on his face....I'll even put on a green Red Sox cap for ease of identification.
Jeff

I need reminding of the directions as well. I'll be the stocky, bearded 5'10" guy with the Ohio State football jersey on that says "WALKER" on the back. Probably fairly easy to spot.

-walker

The place is pretty easy to get to. If you get off of I-40 on Aviation Blvd and go AWAY from the airport (south) you will pass an outlet mall on your right, go a little further, and see an Amoco station on your left. Turn into the Amoco station and behind it is a small strip with the Indian restaurant (I think there is also a pizza/sub place or some such). If you reach Hooters or Cracker Barrel you went too far.

I'm still not even sure what I'm wearing today (just checked...jeans and white shirt), much less Wednesday, but I'll figure it out by then.

Walker,
Good thing your jersey doesn't have CLARET on the back...I'd have to frisk you before letting you in the restaurant. :D
New Guy

anybody happen to have a camera with them (or a camera phone)?

I had set my camera on the counter last night so that I wouldn't forget it today, but... well... you see where I'm going with this.

-walker

Walker said:
anybody happen to have a camera with them (or a camera phone)?

I had set my camera on the counter last night so that I wouldn't forget it today, but... well... you see where I'm going with this.

Do we really want to spoil the mystery of not knowing what the others look like, on the board ? ;)

Kai

Kai said:
Do we really want to spoil the mystery of not knowing what the others look like, on the board ? ;)

Kai

are you suggesting I avert my eyes at lunch today?

-walker

Hey, Billy...

good thing you had that camera phone with you. :)

(For anybody else reading this, we never took any pictures.)

It was nice to meet the three of you. Hope to do it again sometime.

-walker

I'll try to describe everybody:

BeeGee: a mountain of a man. seven foot tall at least. big booming voice.
BOSTONBREWIN': short, skinny, 2 inch thick eye glasses
Kai: your average all-american guy
Walker: green mohawk, a lot of face piercings and tattoos

:D

for those that have trouble picking up sarcasm, none of the above is in any way true.

-walker

El Pistolero and I forgot to take a pic too. maybe next time.....

it's fun meeting some of these guy's we've been yap'n with all this time.

Latest posts

Back