First Starter Identification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dieselpete

Reaction score
This is my first starter. White Labs Kolsch.
Question is, is all the white material yeast?
Yeast.jpg

Yes if it is at the proper temperature. Did you use mr malty to calculate your starter size? Is there a reason you want to increase the amount of yeast from this.

Looks like some good healthy yeast. If you want to grow more yeast you will need to build another starter and only pitch a small amount of the yeast you have. You cannot exponentially grow yeast in a fixed size starter. You can only grow yeast by stepping up to larger size starters or continually pitching small amounts into a fixed size starter. If that is a 2L starter then that looks like plenty of slurry to pitch 5 gallons. Use the calculator on MRMalty.com to make sure you have enough. Also remember, more yeast is not necessarily better. Overpitching can be just as bad as under pitching. It is best to pitch the proper amount.

If that is a 2L starter then that looks like plenty of slurry to pitch 5 gallons.

That's actually a 1L starter.

And since I'm so smart, even though the directions said to use 1l of water, I thought that would end up being to much, so I used less and ended up with about 400ml of wort after boiling. Brilliant...

Back