Dryhop an Irish Red?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I am on a dry hopping kick right now and wondered if anyone has dry hopped an Irish red and what kind of hops would you use?:rolleyes:

Probably English earthy hops like East Kent Goldings or Fuggles... but dry hopping isn't really typical for an Irish Red as the BJCP guidelines indicates "hop aroma is low to none."

But if you're trying to not color within the lines, by all means do it :mug:

Yup, I'd go with EKG, Fuggles, or Willamette. But as the posted above stated, the style is not big on hop aroma. But that doesn't mean you can't!

Don't do it. I tried it once and I'll never do it again. Doesn't fit the style. You can brew another style and dry hop with good results. Irish red is not the beer you want to try this on.

I vote Willamette! Oregon hops make me happy and I think Willamette has more to offer in the aroma department than EKG or Fuggles.

Probably English earthy hops like East Kent Goldings or Fuggles... but dry hopping isn't really typical for an Irish Red as the BJCP guidelines indicates "hop aroma is low to none."

But if you're trying to not color within the lines, by all means do it :mug:

I think i will stick with BJCP guidelines on this one and do an APA next!:ban:

Latest posts

Back