Critique my first brew recipe, plus questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrRoboto

Reaction score
For my first batch of brew I have decided to use a recipe I built myself using beersmith instead of using a kit. Tell me what you think of this recipe...

Type: extract
Batch size: 5 gal
Efficiency: 72%
IBU: 11.8
SG: 1.051
FG: 1.009
SRM: 6.3
ABV: 5.4

5 lbs wheat dry extract
Tradition Hops .25oz 30 mins
Hallertauer Hersbruker 1oz 15 mins
Clove Honey 1lb 15mins
hefeweizen Ale Yeast (White Labs WLP300)

Ferment Primary 10-14 days @ 66-70 and secondary 10-14 days 68-70 Pitching with a 1 liter starter...

My question is Beer smith is saying I need 240 billion yeast cells for this brew.. Using 1 WLP300 and 1 liter of extract it says I will have 30 billion cells so I should use 8 yeast packs? Is this true or will one pack pitched to a starter then to my fermentor be ok? Oh yeah I will be using a yeast nutrient in the starter also. Is beer smith right or do I just have a setting wrong with my options for a starter and yeast?

There's something off on you numbers no way should you need 8 packs of yeast also I think ur ibus might b off too.

One pack into a 2Lstarter will be good. If you have a stir plate you can do a 1L starter.

OT. Simi Valley I grew up there went to Royal High.

When you add a yeast in Beersmith, it defaults the produced on date (mine automatically comes up as 12/27/11). Make sure you've got the right date there.

Also, if this is your first beer, may want to have some DME on hand. My first all grain efficiency was 57%. The beer was good, just a fair bit lighter than I intended.

When you add a yeast in Beersmith, it defaults the produced on date (mine automatically comes up as 12/27/11). Make sure you've got the right date there.

Also, if this is your first beer, may want to have some DME on hand. My first all grain efficiency was 57%. The beer was good, just a fair bit lighter than I intended.

He was using dme not sure why he gave an efficiency number.

Thx that fixed it it says 1 packet of yeast now.. :rockin:

I don't see anything wrong with it. However, if you're looking to get any kind of honey flavor whatsoever, I'd add it after flameout, or even wait until the primary fermentation starts to die down. Even then, it'll be very subtle, but if you add it to the boil, you may as well just use sugar.

I don't see anything wrong with it. However, if you're looking to get any kind of honey flavor whatsoever, I'd add it after flameout, or even wait until the primary fermentation starts to die down. Even then, it'll be very subtle, but if you add it to the boil, you may as well just use sugar.

At flame out would that still provide enough heat to kill any contaminates that could be lurking in the honey? I just feel that some type of boil would be nice... From my understanding during the fermentation process the honey is consumed by the yeast making alcohol and that is where you loose the honey flavor, Ive read at beast you will get some flowery off flavors depending on the honey..

MrRoboto said:
At flame out would that still provide enough heat to kill any contaminates that could be lurking in the honey? I just feel that some type of boil would be nice... From my understanding during the fermentation process the honey is consumed by the yeast making alcohol and that is where you loose the honey flavor, Ive read at beast you will get some flowery off flavors depending on the honey..

Honey is basically "bug free", that's why it doesn't need to be refridgerated and why it doesn't spoil

Well heres an update I brewed this recipe out and its been in the fermentor for 1.5 weeks and I just took a gravity reading and Im almost there .003 more and I will be at my mark. I drank the sample and it has just the right amount of bitter plus I used WLP300 and fermented at 72 degrees. There is some banana off flavors but not overpowering and some stronger citris notes in there. I used the honey at flame out and I can taste honey flavor in the beer as well. I have a feeling this is going to be a good beer.

Back