White house beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really? Do you think Paul Newman designed all those sauces?

What sickens me is people using this as an excuse to bash their president even more. Some of you really need to pull your heads out of your asses.

Just let it go man, best to ignore it. But freedom of speech and all that I'm not telling you what to say!

This.

I'm happy that the hobby is getting press, but it sickens me to see more claims about "Obama's beer". He financed it and drank it. From everything that's been released, he has 0 involvement in the process.

This.

Obama is not a home brewer. He drinks beer. The only reason this is a story is because a lot of folks with more free time on their hands than sense, made it a story.

Oh yeah, there is nothing wrong with extract beer. Lets not eat our own. Extract makes great beer. However, as the leader of the free world, you would think that the Pentagon, or the Military Industrial Complex, could devise a a killer single tier, 20 gal, three vessle system.......

.... Oh sorry, Lonnie already did that.

I all about keeping this thread about the beer and the hobby. I'll leave my politics out of it. If you want to vent your political beliefs, try the debate forum. Thanks in advance.
Edit: And Drunken Rambling, and Mindless Musesing for us non-premium members :)

Malric said:
This.

I'm happy that the hobby is getting press, but it sickens me to see more claims about "Obama's beer". He financed it and drank it. From everything that's been released, he has 0 involvement in the process.

What White House official has claimed it's "Obama's beer"? I've always seen it referred to as the White House's beer or homebrew.

I want Obama's recipe for haggis, if he has one. Let's start a petition!

article-1124324-030EA213000005DC-889_468x257.jpg

What White House official has claimed it's "Obama's beer"? I've always seen it referred to as the White House's beer or homebrew.

My bad for saying Obama's beer recipe I didn't know how silly people could be about semantics. I think it's officially white house beer.

HAHAHA It was obvious that the White House brewers are complete noobs, but I still think this was really cool! They are doing most things very right, so I imagine their beer tastes nice.

I'll probably try a modified version of one of these beers just for the fun of it, but all grain plus honey. :mug:

Really? Do you think Paul Newman designed all those sauces?

What sickens me is people using this as an excuse to bash their president even more. Some of you really need to pull your heads out of your asses.

Really? Paul Newman isn't running for office. Also, I think he's dead.

Don't get your panty's in a wad over some critical responses. Its no different than all the fawning credit given to him, and positive press he enjoys from allowing someone to brew "for" him. They are two sides of the same coin. You take the good with the bad. Read this when you pull yours out.

Edit: This is a closed thread, but I don't see a lot of posts in it on how we need to be respectful.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f45/we-gotta-have-george-dubbya-quotes-thread-107480/

Surely Obama doesn't actually brew himself, but perhaps he stopped in the kitchen for a midnight piece of cinnamon toast or somesuch, and saw an assistant chef squatting next to a big glass bottle with a stopwatch, counting bubbles, and muttering "Is it done fermenting yet?"

HAHAHA It was obvious that the White House brewers are complete noobs, but I still think this was really cool! They are doing most things very right, so I imagine their beer tastes nice.

I'll probably try a modified version of one of these beers just for the fun of it, but all grain plus honey. :mug:

When I watched it I said, "hey that's what it looks like when I brew." Haha needless to say I'm a noobert. :D

I'm assuming here that by "10 HBU's bittering hops" they mean equivalent to 1 ounce of hops at 10 AAU?

for the 30 minute addition in the honey porter do we care what hop we're using?

Here's what i have so far in brewtarget for an all-grain batch sparged 5.5g version at 75% efficiency:

Edit: Removed rough draft. Try this instead.

DaBills said:
I got them sent to my e-mail today. There are two recipes: White House Honey Ale and White House Honey Porter. Enjoy!

Here's the e-mail:

Ale to the Chief: White House Beer Recipe

By Sam Kass, White House Assistant Chef and the Senior Policy Advisor for Healthy Food Initiatives

With public excitement about White House beer fermenting such a buzz, we decided we better hop right to it.

Inspired by home brewers from across the country, last year President Obama bought a home brewing kit for the kitchen. After the few first drafts we landed on some great recipes that came from a local brew shop. We received some tips from a couple of home brewers who work in the White House who helped us amend it and make it our own. To be honest, we were surprised that the beer turned out so well since none of us had brewed beer before.

As far as we know the White House Honey Brown Ale is the first alcohol brewed or distilled on the White House grounds. George Washington brewed beer and distilled whiskey at Mount Vernon and Thomas Jefferson made wine but there's no evidence that any beer has been brewed in the White House. (Although we do know there was some drinking during prohibition…)

Since our first batch of White House Honey Brown Ale, we've added the Honey Porter and have gone even further to add a Honey Blonde this past summer. Like many home brewers who add secret ingredients to make their beer unique, all of our brews have honey that we tapped from the first ever bee-hive on the South Lawn. The honey gives the beer a rich aroma and a nice finish but it doesn't sweeten it.

If you want a behind the scenes look at our home-brewing process, this video offers some proof.

Video Link: http://youtu.be/dygQrX8FI3Q

So without any further ado, America – this one's for you:

White House Honey Porter

Ingredients

2 (3.3 lb) cans light unhopped malt extract
3/4 lb Munich Malt (cracked)
1 lb crystal 20 malt (cracked)
6 oz black malt (cracked)
3 oz chocolate malt (cracked)
1 lb White House Honey
10 HBUs bittering hops
1/2 oz Hallertaur Aroma hops
1 pkg Nottingham dry yeast
3/4 cup corn sugar for bottling
Directions

In a 6 qt pot, add grains to 2.25 qts of 168˚ water. Mix well to bring temp down to 155˚. Steep on stovetop at 155˚ for 45 minutes. Meanwhile, bring 2 gallons of water to 165˚ in a 12 qt pot. Place strainer over, then pour and spoon all the grains and liquid in. Rinse with 2 gallons of 165˚ water. Let liquid drain through. Discard the grains and bring the liquid to a boil. Set aside.
Add the 2 cans of malt extract and honey into the pot. Stir well.
Boil for an hour. Add half of the bittering hops at the 15 minute mark, the other half at 30 minute mark, then the aroma hops at the 60 minute mark.
Set aside and let stand for 15 minutes.
Place 2 gallons of chilled water into the primary fermenter and add the hot wort into it. Top with more water to total 5 gallons if necessary. Place into an ice bath to cool down to 70-80˚.
Activate dry yeast in 1 cup of sterilized water at 75-90˚ for fifteen minutes. Pitch yeast into the fermenter. Fill airlock halfway with water. Ferment at room temp (64-68˚) for 3-4 days.
Siphon over to a secondary glass fermenter for another 4-7 days.
To bottle, make a priming syrup on the stove with 1 cup sterile water and 3/4 cup priming sugar, bring to a boil for five minutes. Pour the mixture into an empty bottling bucket. Siphon the beer from the fermenter over it. Distribute priming sugar evenly. Siphon into bottles and cap. Let sit for 1-2 weeks at 75˚.
White House Honey Ale

Ingredients

2 (3.3 lb) cans light malt extract
1 lb light dried malt extract
12 oz crushed amber crystal malt
8 oz Bisquit Malt
1 lb White House Honey
1 1/2 oz Kent Goldings Hop Pellets
1 1/2 oz Fuggles Hop pellets
2 tsp gypsum
1 pkg Windsor dry ale yeast
3/4 cup corn sugar for priming
Directions

In an 12 qt pot, steep the grains in a hop bag in 1 1/2 gallons of sterile water at 155 degrees for half an hour. Remove the grains.
Add the 2 cans of the malt extract and the dried extract and bring to a boil.
For the first flavoring, add the 1 1/2 oz Kent Goldings and 2 tsp of gypsum. Boil for 45 minutes.
For the second flavoring, add the 1/2 oz Fuggles hop pellets at the last minute of the boil.
Add the honey and boil for 5 more minutes.
Add 2 gallons chilled sterile water into the primary fermenter and add the hot wort into it. Top with more water to total 5 gallons. There is no need to strain.
Pitch yeast when wort temperature is between 70-80˚. Fill airlock halfway with water.
Ferment at 68-72˚ for about seven days.
Rack to a secondary fermenter after five days and ferment for 14 more days.
To bottle, dissolve the corn sugar into 2 pints of boiling water for 15 minutes. Pour the mixture into an empty bottling bucket. Siphon the beer from the fermenter over it. Distribute priming sugar evenly. Siphon into bottles and cap. Let sit for 2 to 3 weeks at 75˚.

Can't wait to brew them!

Same here. Now have to sneak on to the white house grounds and get some honey;)

TimpanogosSlim, thanks. You da man!

Thanks. But it's just a rough draft. You may want to stay tuned to see what others have to say about the recipe.

Here's what i came up with for the Honey Ale. Selected "specialty beer" because it's out of style for everything. It's like a really heavy cream ale.

Edit: Removed rough draft. Try this version instead.

A friend and I are going to brew the Honey Ale in a couple weeks. He's gonna run the numbers based on his system, but we're looking at 9ish pounds base malt. We're debating using US 2-row or Maris Otter (without knowing the extract, I'm guessing either Briess or Muntons based on the weights given). We're also close enough that getting some honey from a local farmers market should be fairly close to the White House honey.

We were also debating what "amber crystal malt" means. I don't think it's amber malt. We're thinking a mid-range Crystal. Probably going with C60L.

We were also debating what "amber crystal malt" means. I don't think it's amber malt. We're thinking a mid-range Crystal. Probably going with C60L.

as English as the rest of the recipe is, I'm assuming English amber/medium/crystal-II crystal malt

40L to high-50L, usually topping at 57
any American 40 or 60 rating or a mix of the two will get you close
(two cultures separated by a common language)

as English as the rest of the recipe is, I'm assuming English amber/medium/crystal-II crystal malt

40L to high-50L, usually topping at 57
any American 40 or 60 or a mix of the two will get you close

I had actually suggested English 55L/medium crystal. He's already got plenty of American 60, so that'll be close enough.

I, for one, am VERY GLAD this was an extract recipe. Not all of us have the time, money, and space to devote to all grain (yet) and doing this as an extract recipe will only serve to get a few more people into the hobby.

Kudos to the White House staff for all the effort they put into this.

I, for one, am VERY GLAD this was an extract recipe. Not all of us have the time, money, and space to devote to all grain (yet) and doing this as an extract recipe will only serve to get a few more people into the hobby.

Kudos to the White House staff for all the effort they put into this.

Yeah I felt the same way.

Well you can always convert AG recipes to extract so no big deal!

Absolutely correct, didn't really think of this.

Obama is not my candidate, but he is our President. I am glad to see brewing in the national spotlight, as I still live in a state that hasn't gotten around to removing the homebrew laws. Maybe this will give the state legislature the confidence to alter our laws without feeling like they are inviting national repercussions.

Either way, it's homebrew and it's probably quite tasty.

Obama is not my candidate, but he is our President. I am glad to see brewing in the national spotlight, as I still live in a state that hasn't gotten around to removing the homebrew laws. Maybe this will give the state legislature the confidence to alter our laws without feeling like they are inviting national repercussions.

Either way, it's homebrew and it's probably quite tasty.

Thanks for the thoughtful post. Amazed that homebrew laws are still in effect in some places.

I was fixin to make a honey ale for my wife. Looks like I'll be tryin this one in a couple weeks.

Cool, let us know how it turns out. I'll be getting around to it eventually, but I have 8 brews lined up before this one. Good problem to have :mug:

Re: honey.

Any guesses as to which type of honey might be closest? Something from the farmers market? Maybe just plain clover honey?

Also, i'm guessing they meant 10 AAU on the porter?

Back