Yeast Washing Method Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barhoc11

Reaction score
I have checked out all the great tips on here about yeast washing and I think I have a good method ready to try this out this weekend but I would like to see if anyone can answer some questions I have.

I have six 6oz empty baby food jars and one 32oz plastic bottle (http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Servin-Saver-White-Bottle/dp/B0000CFN3O/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318879602&sr=8-1-spell)

Is there any reason I could not boil water in the six 6 ounce jars and use that to dump into the carboy to wash the yeast and then put into the 32oz plastic bottle? After letting the plastic bottle sit for about 20 minutes I would then pour the yeast solution into the 6oz jars.

Does anyone see an issue with this method? I would obviously Starsan the plastic container before hand to avoid contamination.

Thanks for your input!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want dead yeast then you could wash them with boiling water :) star san and that's all you need to use for sanitization

If you want dead yeast then you could wash them with boiling water :) star san and that's all you need to use for sanitization

I obviously know that I have to cool the boiling water before hand, I was just wondering if I had to use a glass container for any certain reason after I got the yeast from the carboy. I dont really feel like buying 12 mason jars when I only need 1.

Ah I think its the whole oxygen absobtion thing that plastic containers do, oxygen doesn't penetrate glass so its ideal, see if your parents or grandparents have some, they most likely do if they ever canned anything, I'm sure somebody could cough one mason jar and lid up

I use empty spaghetti sauce jars. And mayonnaise jars. And pickle jars. And....you get the idea. ;)

I use empty spaghetti sauce jars. And mayonnaise jars. And pickle jars. And....you get the idea. ;)

I thought about using these types of jars but it just seemed dirty for some reason. I guess once I clean and sanitize it, there is no issue.

Has anyone ever used a flask as the first container once you have the yeast cake and water combination? It seems like it would be a perfect container for yeast washing.

Back