Looking for a good Extract Porter recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve only done one brew before but now that supplies are dwindling, batch 2 is on my mind. I want to do a relatively light sweet porter. Chocolate/Coffee/Vanilla flavors would be welcome. Any advice on resources for formulating a grain bill? Hops/yeast recommendations? A recipe that you like, yourself? I’d appreciate any and all help.

There are some good Young's Double Chocolate Stout clone recipes in the recipe section. Also, morebeer.com is selling a hazelnut porter kit right now. If you want really sweet and different, try Cheesefood's Caramel Cream Ale.

I did this as a chocolate raspberry for Christmas, should be a good base recipe:

1/2 lbs Special B
1/2 lbs Caramunich
1/2 lbs 2-Row
1/4 lbs Chocolate malt
1/8 lbs black patent

I steeped these grains for 15 minutes in 1.5 gallons of water at 150deg and sparged with another 1qt of water at 150deg.

6 1/2 lbs Amber LME
(the LME was from AHS so it was very fresh and came in plastic rather than a can; you can also substitute DME if you can't get good LME)

1oz Northdown 6.5% AA for 60 min
1/2 oz EK Goldings 5.5%AA for 15 min
1/2 oz EK Goldings 5.5%AA for 5 min

I added 8oz of cocoa powder for the last 2 minutes of the boil and added 2lbs of pasteurized raspberries to my secondary. I would recommend chocolate extract instead of the powder if you want to go that route.

I ended up with an OG of 1.060. I used White Labs London Ale yeast (WLP013) and ended up with an FG of 1.014. All in all it was a pretty good brew.

Back