Freezer Won’t Freeze: No Need for Temp Control?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handle

Reaction score
I think I already know the answer to this thread, but I wanted to throw it to those more familiar with refrigeration than I. I recently found on Craigslist an upright freezer that no longer gets to freezing temps, but still gets cold. I haven't contacted the seller, so I'm not sure exactly how cold (or if they even know).

I’m looking for a freezer to do a conversion, and was wondering if this might be a viable option – sort of more of a refrigerator conversion than a freezer. My concern is that if it’s not achieving its intended temperature, than something is probably wrong and it could get even worse. I don’t think I’ll be fermenting in this, just kegging. Should I look into this, or am I just asking for trouble on down the road?

I used to repair appliances. It is probably leaking freon and will get worse. It could have an inefficient compressor and will get worse. IF it is frost free and building up frost, then go for it. Probably just needs a timer.

i wouldn't bother with it. there is obviously something wrong with it and it could break at in inopportune time and wreck your brew. that and you don't know what temp it is stuck at. it may be to cold or to warm for your brew. do you know if its even the right size for your fermenter?

I used to repair appliances. It is probably leaking freon and will get worse. It could have an inefficient compressor and will get worse. IF it is frost free and building up frost, then go for it. Probably just needs a timer.

i wouldn't bother with it. there is obviously something wrong with it and it could break at in inopportune time and wreck your brew. that and you don't know what temp it is stuck at. it may be to cold or to warm for your brew. do you know if its even the right size for your fermenter?

Yeah, I just wanted to get a general idea as to what was wrong with it before I called the seller up asking these questions (I doubt very seriously they know off hand what temperature it cools too -- they don't use it anymore). I wasn't going to ferment in it, but rather convert it to a keezer. It was a nice size for that.

Oh well, thanks for the responses, guys. I guess I should stay away from this one.

Latest posts

Back