A little help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullshivit-brew

Reaction score
I am trying to come up with a sweet stout and really want a strong caramel note to it. What would be the best grain to give me this? Maybe some more caramel/crystal-60L here is the grain bill I put together on it so far. what do you think?

------------------------------
5.0 Belgian 2 row pale
1.0 Belgian caramel pils
1.0 American 6 row
0.8 Black barley (stout)
0.12 caramel/crystal 60L
0.12 caramel/crystal 120L
0.8 lactose
0.8 Dark Brown sugar

Using several caramels will give you better results than a lot of one. C60L and C120L in equal parts is good.

5.0 Belgian 2 row pale
1.0 Belgian caramel pils
1.0 American 6 row
0.4 Black barley (stout)
0.12 caramel/crystal 60L
0.8 lactose
0.8 Dark Brown sugar
0.8 Roasted barley

Ok what you think of that? Im looking for over the top kinda carmel. You think I will get it with this or should throw in 8oz of caramel/crystal 80L. I want there to be no mistaking the is a caremel stout. Here is the hope schedul I plan to use

1oz northern brewer 60min
0.5oz amarillo 15min
0.5 fuggels 5min
??? may dry hop 0.5 fuggels in sec.

Is there a yeast you would think would help me get the flavor/sent I want was thinking of useing US-O5

5.0 Belgian 2 row pale
1.0 Belgian caramel pils
1.0 American 6 row
0.4 Black barley (stout)
0.12 caramel/crystal 60L
0.8 lactose
0.8 Dark Brown sugar
0.8 Roasted barley

Ok what you think of that? Im looking for over the top kinda carmel. You think I will get it with this or should throw in 8oz of caramel/crystal 80L. I want there to be no mistaking the is a caremel stout. Here is the hope schedul I plan to use

1oz northern brewer 60min
0.5oz amarillo 15min
0.5 fuggels 5min
??? may dry hop 0.5 fuggels in sec.

Is there a yeast you would think would help me get the flavor/sent I want was thinking of useing US-O5

I would just lose the caramel pils and up the base grain to cover it.You have enough dextrins with all the other crystal in there.You should definitely taste the caramel in that.Be advised that if you are using a brewing calculator/scale your weights should look more like this
.4 black barley-should read either 4oz. or .25lb.
.12 C60--should read either 12oz. or .75lb.
.8 would be 8oz. or .5lb.
Most of the sweet stout recipes I've seen have only a couple of hop additions usually totaling around 20-25 IBUs.One @ 60 mins. and the other around 20-10mins.
If I were doing it I would probably go w/ the NB @ 60 and then the fuggles @ 15 however the IBUs came out around 25ish.
For yeast the S-05 will give you a more thin and drier beer.
S-04 will be quite a bit sweeter and have more body.
If you want a beer that you can drink 4-5 of then go w/ S-05, if you want one to sit back with and sip on a couple then go w/ the S-04.Personally I'd go S-04.
There, I feel I've sufficiently picked you apart.Just keep in mind that this is how I would do it.(just my own personal preferences) As the brewer you have the perogative to do it "However you dang well please" as I usually end up doing.Hope this helps and good luck.:mug:

if you want to be really silly on the carmel side just take a cup or two of wort and boil it down on the stove and let it carmalize and add it back in.

Latest posts

Back