RIMS Tube - 1 1/2" or 2"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ttownbrewer

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to buy a RIMS tube from Brewers Hardware. Of the users out there which size would you recommend with a fold back element? I've read different things regarding the element touching the sides, etc. Is it worth the extra money for the 2"?

You can fit the element in the 1.5" all day long (it just might require a real light bend to keep if off the wall). Going with the smaller pipe will give you less dead space to compensate for in your water calculations.

Bobby has the same setup I use for sale on his page, at a very reasonable price.
http://www.brewhardware.com/rimsherms-parts

I had considered Bobby's set up, but am leaning toward wanting Tri Clover connections.

I guess I didn't think about water calculations. I currently use 1.25 qt per lb. Would that ratio run to thin, or is it dependent on other things? I would assume you would probably need more water with a larger tube, and less with a smaller diameter.

You can still mash at your preferred water to grist ratio, but you have to add in the dead space volume (plumbing, rims tube, area under a false bottom) when figuring out your strike water volume and temperature.

Touching the sides is not really a problem, but you can bend the element to reduce any contact. Since the permeability of the grain bed limits the maximum flow rate through the RIMS, it is best to use the smallest diameter heating tube to produce the highest velocity through the tube to reduce the potential of wort overheating or scorching. 1.5" is preferred.

Back