single dial regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhinoceroceros

Reaction score
So I am trying to keg for the first time and I have my keg assembled, cleaned, and sanitized. I hooked up the co2 and tap lines and ran starsan through it to test it out and to sanitize everything. I'm about to rack the beer to the keg but I'm concerned about carbing the beer, the regulator I have only has a single dial so I'm not sure at what pressure it's actually pushing the gas out. The picture is of the regulator hooked up to the co2 tank and keg. I can't find anything about how to use this regulator on the internets so I'm turning to the community. Please help me, homebrew talk, you're my only hope!

ForumRunner_20130123_190750.jpg

The picture didn't attach to the first post, but here it is again

That dial is the output pressure of the CO2. A dual body regulator would have another gauge on the left that shows the pressure in the tank which would be more like 900+ depending on temperature.

Yea you're good, the other guage that shows the pressure in the tank is pretty much useless anyway. You have the important part.

Yup, that right there is really all that's needed to carb up and serve. From all you read in the forums, high pressure gauges tend to cause more anxiety than they're worth anyway...

Cheers!

Awesome!! Thanks for the help! But do I just hook up the tank and leave it on, or should I turn it off at some point?

You'll want to refer to this chart to determine the appropriate CO2 pressure versus the temperature of the kegged beer to obtain the desired carbonation level.

Once you know that setting, you'll need to leave the gas on until the keg is fully carbed. That can easily take a week or more if you leave the keg undisturbed (I try to give my kegs three weeks) but on the up side that gives the beer some maturity and clarity as well.

If your keg is nice and tight, once the beer is well carbed you can then remove the gas and the beer should remain carbed up. When you go to chill the keg down for serving, go back to the carbonation chart to find out what pressure to set the regulator for the chilled beer - it will be considerably lower than what you'd use at "room temperature"...

Cheers!

Awesome that's a huge help!

So I don't have the means to cool it now but I'd like to set it to the correct psi for the cooler temp and let it carb. Will that work, or does it need to be at the target temperature when I start carbing?

CO2 pressure should be set for the actual beer temperature at the time, and will require adjustment when that temperature changes, as already mentioned...

Cheers!

Back