Question on krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captainfester

Master of the Seas
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a wheat that has been fermenting for 1 week. It hit fg after 5 days and is steady still. However the krausen hasn't fallen. I want to rack this into secondary on top of some raspberries.

What do I do?

Well, the best answer is to leave it alone. One week is still a little early to move. But, to help the krausen fall, gently give the fermenter a little nudge. As long as the airlock is in there won't be any worries about oxygenating the beer. Just don't get crazy and shake the crap outta it...:mug:

If you've taken a few hydrometer readings and it's no longer going down, then yes, rack away. Just be sure to make the call based on consistency of those, not the batch's closeness to what the theoretical FG is supposed to be.

Leave it be for another week. Give it a chance to settle out more. Wheats should be misty,but not cloudy. It needs a rest to clean up by products of fermentation anyway.

Latest posts

Back