Finnish Bread Yeast for Sahti

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikesnbeers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just received a small amount of Finnish bread yeast that I'm planning on using it in a sahti (thanks Noah!). It looks like Playdoh. It's more like a paste than a liquid.

Does anyone know how to brew and harvest this stuff?

Do you make a starter first?

Thanks!

I'm starting to wonder if it can be easily harvested. I'm seeing quite a bit of info that says the baking yeast does not drop out of suspension much like a Hefe. An intense cold crash may do it, but I can't find anything to back that up.
Not sure if you have seen this article, but it's full of good info and history on Sahti.
http://www.brewingtechniques.com/library/styles/6_4style.html

FWIW, I have successfully harvested yeast from Lammin Kataja Olut. It took some patience but I was able to do it. Fermented surprisingly clean. I assume yours would be similar.

I'm wondering how it gets into the "paste" form. I thought I saw that it was compressed. I'm not exactly sure how that is accomplished. I guess there's only one way to find out. Brewing with it next weekend.

Nope. I ended up brewing 2 beers this weekend, but no sahti. I still haven't "sourced" the juniper branches, and I want to make sure the sahti has them. I'll probably stop by a nursery and see what I can find. I'll let you know.

Latest posts

Back