Stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewser09

Reaction score
So i brewed a Hefeweizen on Tuesday and put it in my basement and today there is still no sign of active fermentation, so i moved it to a different section of basement thinking that might be the problem and i still don't have anything. I also started a Edworts Apfleweizen last night and there is no activity in the carboy at all. I used star san to sanitize both fementation vessels and in the carboy i actually poured the yeast through some foam. Could this have affected the fermentation? And before anyone asks the basement is around 70 and yes I know, don't fear the foam!! Any help would be great

You may want to check your gravity. Something may be going on, just not too visibly. But usually with a hefe you see quite a lot of activity.
If it were me and there was no change in gravity at all, I'd probably repitch with fresh yeast

Give it another day; assuming you didn't make a starter when you pitched it simply takes a bit of time to get really rockin'....

what makes you think there is "no activity"? did you check the SG? thats the only real measure of fermentation. as far as the Edworts Apfleweizen its been a day. it may take longer than that to get started.

Im going to check the gravity this evening and tomorrow and if theres no change i'll repitch, i'm just affraid it will give my beer a "bread in a cup" taste :S

well if your going to do a double check i would wait 3 days in between the checks. if the first reading is lower than your OG or projected OG i wouldn't bother with the second test and just let it sit for another 2 weeks.

There may well be "activity," but the fact is that if you pitch a hefeweizen yeast into wort and don't see obvious signs of fermentation for 24 hours (much less 3 days), something is not right. You might still end up with beer, but this is not a healthy fermentation, and a healthy fermentation is the most important factor in producing a quality product.

In the future, make a starter to ensure viability of your yeast. If you do this, aerate the wort well and pitch at the correct temperature, you are guaranteed to have a quick start to fermentation.

Back