temp control during secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemman14

Reaction score
I have a brown that I am going to dry hop and was wondering if temp control is an issue with a secondary? I dont think it should be but I just wanted to check to be sure.

I listened to an episode of the Jamil Show where they talked about fermentation temperature control. From what i remember, they said that the most important time for temp control (as it pertains to getting off flavors) is the first 4-7 days of primary. After that, just watch out for any wild fluctuations in temp. I usually just stick the secondary in the closet and throw a t-shirt over it to keep the light out. It stays consistently around 69 F in there. So far, that has worked for me.

It's not as critical as with the primary, but do your best. Remember that yeast are still active in the secondary, although they probably are not going to generate off-flavors or aromas. If nothing else, temperature fluctuations might empty out your airlock by sucking in the liquid.

TL

Like the previous posters, steady is best. However, there are lots of interesting theories behind cold versus ferment temp dry hopping. Each time I interview a pro brewer for Can You Brew It, they seem to have differing opinions on what is best. I used to dry hop at serving temp, so I could taste samples and get an idea of when it reached the level I liked. Then I've done some warmer dry hopping too, and found equally excellent results.

I put it in my closet which only really varies in temp ~ 5 degrees I would estimate on a normal day so I doubt the beer will even fluctuate that much

First off, let me say what I have in Secondary. Wee Heavy (3 weeks), Cider (5 Weeks) and Meade (5 Months). I've recently returned from about a 2 week trip on the road. While I was gone, someone in my house, I won't say her name lest she read this post, decided to conserve energy and keep the Thermostat down to about 62 - 63 Degrees. I live in Connecticut and it's been pretty cold lately. I normally keep the house at 68 - 70 and my brews do just fine. Long story short, I put my thermometer next to my secondaries and it is reading 62 degrees, does anyone see a problem with this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks...

All three should be fine, I'd just let them come back to normal temperature on their own. Being in Texas, I always worry much more about things getting too warm, but recently converted a side-by-side for fermentation temps.

Back