Spunding Valves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
Hey folks, now that I've been fermenting in a keg for a while (not myself, my beer) I'm thinking a pressure relief valve would help to keep the brew at the pressure that'll keep it carbed once it's done. Anyway, I know this has been covered but I could not find the posts I was looking for with a search (yes, I'm inept... or just lazy). How many of you have build a pressure relief valve, how did you do it and what does it look like? Thanks!

I really like the one from harbor freight!

It looks like it gives you a bit more control

John

I've played with it quite a bit and it seems to be well made. It has a tiny little pin in the side that keeps the handle from backing off all the way so you just have to slide a blade in and work the pin out and then the handle will come off.

There is a big spring and a tight fitting gasket and another part in there.

Send a PM to wortmonger or search "closed system fermentation". He's something of a spunding jedi.

Neat idea. Couldn't you use a barbed gas connect with a hose on it submerged in water like a mini blow off?

Like this-

Looks like it would work fine to me. You'd still need to take the poppet out of course. You could even cut a SHORT piece of tubing and put one end on the gas connect and just slide the airlock into the other end. Again, the poppet would need to be removed.

Neat idea. Couldn't you use a barbed gas connect with a hose on it submerged in water like a mini blow off?

Like this-

I'm not worried about a blow off. I've done that. What I want is precise control of the pressure so I can just counter-flow it to a keg and it'll be naturally carbed.

I'm not worried about a blow off. I've done that. What I want is precise control of the pressure so I can just counter-flow it to a keg and it'll be naturally carbed.

This was my thought. I'm also going along the lines of fermenting under pressure and then dropping temp and letting it naturally carb in the keg using the valve.

Back