Chest Freezer getting hot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yunus

Reaction score
So I bought a chest freezer off craigslist almost a month ago and finally got around to connecting my love controller and getting it setup for a fermentation box. but...

Is it normal for the freezer to get hot on the outside side panels? It's a 7 cu ft freezer and the right side panel gets hot, I mean not warm but hot to the touch where it is actually uncomfortable to leave my hand there. Other panels get hot as well but the right panel by far gets the hottest. The freezer is not like a regular fridge where a blower motor moves air it seems to just get really cold on the inside and I know heat has to go somewhere but just wondering if that is normal or if something might be shorted somewhere causing a problem. Last thing I want to do is burn down my house trying to save $100 on a used freezer.

*This happens with or without the love controller.

If there aren't a large number of coils on the rear that exchange the heat, they put the coils under the metal but outside the insulation. The designers protect them and let the cabinet be a heatsink. My Danby fridge is the same way.

Putting the condenser coils under the outside walls has become common. The wall protects the coils, boosts efficiency by increasing the heat transfer area and improving air circulation. Finally, the heat eliminates water condensation on the outside.

Um, even if the coils were outside, they would not have condensation problems. They are hot.

he means condensation on the exterior of the freezer not the coils. Older units would sweat because the sides would be cold when the coils were mounted on the back or under the unit.

Back