Blizzard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On my police forum we're constantly bombarded with the retired guys who've moved down to Florida and their ridiculous attempts to rub the heat in our faces. Personally, I laugh because they can keep it. I visited my sister while she was living in Florida and I ended up in the house most of the time because I couldn't take the heat. I have no idea how I made it through Airborne School at Ft. Benning during the summer.

Agreed. FLA is OK but it is humid heat 24/7. They can have it. -30F? Bring it on. That is snowshoeing weather.

I did Air Force basic in San Antonio TX in July. Same deal - sweaty swamp a$$ every day. Nice and warm but they can keep it.

Didn't even realize the NE was getting a blizzard until my mom texted me asking me if I had bought a shovel. No, I don't own a f'in snow shovel; I live in North Carolina. My mom lives in MA so they're expecting some heavy stuff. If it snows here we stay in the house until it melts the next day. The NCDOT puts down "brine" on the roads if there is a chance of icy conditions. Not salt. Not sand. Brine. Needless to say with the icy road conditions and inexperienced winter weather NC drivers, the roads here are extremely dangerous at even the threat of freezing rain.

Good luck NE. You guys are far more tougher when it comes to the weather than us here in the South.

Nah.. you'd be surprised how many hysterical wusses there are up here in the North. It's snow. It melts. We deal. It ain't the end of the world by a long shot.

I agree Thunder. I already said in this thread how I cannot believe how people act when there's a snow storm here. It's NY people! It snows here EVERY SINGLE YEAR!!!!

Been a mild winter here. 12-18 inches coming. Meh

Coming too late for a snow day too. Lame

I agree Thunder. I already said in this thread how I cannot believe how people act when there's a snow storm here. It's NY people! It snows here EVERY SINGLE YEAR!!!!

Really glad I moved up to CT. New Yorkers have turned into a bunch of p***ies for some reason. Already reading about long lines at gas stations down there. WTF.

We passed a few gas stations on the way home from my mother's house earlier. The lines weren't too long, but they definitely weren't normal. The hurricane was different, I was all about preparation for that one, but a snow storm? No matter how bad it is, IT MELTS PEOPLE!!!!

Exactly. Not expecting the same level of mass, long term power outages. People are nuts.

As a Midwesterner, I have to say, I find east coast snowstorms funny. A 12"+ snow here will get news coverage for a few days leading up to it (if you follow the right places, you'll start hearing about it 2+ weeks out, but only 3-4 days ahead will it hit mainstream media). But at the same time, if YOU GUYS are going to get a 12"+ snow, we'll hear about it here for a week ahead of time. Four years ago, we had a blizzard hit here that when I woke up in the morning, I couldn't find my TRUCK in the driveway (it was hiding in a 7' drift), and the entire western 1/3 of the state was completely shut down, as many highways had 10'+ drifts - one highway near me didn't get reopened until 5 days after the storm. But turn the TV on at night, and what do we hear about? This monster storm that was bearing down on the east coast. The same one that just got done dumping on us.

But I also know exactly what you're talking about. I drive 30 miles one way to work, all of it wide-open rural highway. Snowpacked and drifted roads is a part of living in Iowa. But it never fails, as soon as 47 snowflakes fall, people turn into farking idiots, driving 30 on the highway because "it might be slick". As soon as there's a visible trace of snow on the road, you're better off abandoning the state highways and driving county backroads - or even gravel roads, because the sheeple that are scared out of their minds will stick to the highway.

Good luck to y'all out there.

Edit to add: Add me to the "Prefer cold to hot" crowd. Like they said, you can always put on more clothes when it's cold. There's only so naked I'm allowed to get -- I think they might have put a line about that in the Geneva Convention. Something about crimes against humanity.....

I'm from Texas so I should be in the "I get scared at the sight of a snowflake" crowd, but honestly it's not that bad. If you know how to drive in the snow it's not really that big a deal. I think I'm am a northerner born in the south (yes, east Texas is part of the south) because I personally enjoy NE weather and generally like this part of the country a lot more than where I grew up. I'm considering driving down to New York to judge in a competition on Saturday if the roads are good enough, but if that falls through I'll definitely be brewing in my garage with a foot or two of snow outside. At least the chilling will go quickly.

That sh*t just passed through Wisconsin. The nice thing is, it was a nice slow snowfall which gave plows and salters time to keep up, so the roads were pretty good all day. The real sucky part is that it is wet and heavy. Heavy. Shoveling tonight (twice) really sucked.

That sh*t just passed through Wisconsin. The nice thing is, it was a nice slow snowfall which gave plows and salters time to keep up, so the roads were pretty good all day. The real sucky part is that it is wet and heavy. Heavy. Shoveling tonight (twice) really sucked.
The wet, heavy snows are why I bought my snowblower. Granted, I have a small driveway - one side is around 35' long, the other just over 20. But it's on the east side of my house, and I live on the very western edge of town. There is nothing west of me to stop the wind, so a little 4" snowfall will leave 2-3' drifts in my driveway. Three years ago when the first two snows we got were 8-10" each of wet, heavy snow, I caved and dropped the coin for a two-stage blower.

On my police forum we're constantly bombarded with the retired guys who've moved down to Florida and their ridiculous attempts to rub the heat in our faces. Personally, I laugh because they can keep it. I visited my sister while she was living in Florida and I ended up in the house most of the time because I couldn't take the heat. I have no idea how I made it through Airborne School at Ft. Benning during the summer.

One of the kids I went to High School with Trash talks New Jersey all the time (has a crap job hasn't gotten a better one I think he blames the state for some weird reason, and if you're not making money, NJ isn't a lovely place to live cause CoL is higher) and he's moving to florida and I think it will be funny hearing him complain about the heat. Cause it's gonna happen. I hate the super hot. I'm a north east kinda guy. Maybe I'd move out for the North west, but I do actually enjoy having all 4 seasons in a year.

I prefer the cold to the heat hands down. I don't mind snow either, other than in recent years when everyone seems to be going nuts about it now.

Opposite here. I lived in St. Petersburg, Russia for 1 year and 14 days. I hate the freaking cold. Gimme blistering heat!

I spent two winters (07-08) doing field work in New York outside. The first winter was spent floating on a Jon Boat on the Kensico reservoir shooting firecrackers at sea gulls (Yes this is what a 4 year degree in biology gets you). After that, I got a more respectable job as a field technician sampling petroleum sites in Westchester and the LHV. Nothing sucks more than shoveling out monitoring wells, bailing groundwater, and watching water freeze on your hands, clothes, and the ground around you. It is not easy to fill up bottleware without any bubbles while you're hands on shaking from the cold.

Needless to say we moved to NC where the winter temperatures linger in the 40 - 50 range most of the time. Fall and Winter have actually become my favorite time of year down here because from June - August, the humidity is almost unbearable.

Stay warm guys and if you can, don't wait until the very end to shovel out your driveways.

6) Blizzards are when I drink ice cold BMC. I put the six packs or cases out on the porch directly in the snow.

7) My old landlord used to shovel and had a glass and a little bottle of scotch. He used to throw a handful of snow into the glass and pour the scotch over it. I appreciate the THOUGHT of this, but it is still so wrong so many ways. Dont do it... unless you live in Montana... go ahead knock yourself out in Montana.

*sigh* it will pass

Break out your skis Creamy, You can go skijoring behind a taxi!
I put craft brew, homebrew & even meat outside in winter, so I have more room in the fridge.

I've done the snow in a drink thing plenty of times, but then I live in Montana :) I just like brandy better than scotch.
Just be sure you have plenty to eat, drink, alternative ways to keep warm, and this is VERY important: plenty of toilet paper. 'nuff said.
Good luck. Regards, GF. :mug:

Yeah gf, I dont have empirical data but I gotta figure Montana snow is a lot cleaner than NYC... food-grade even!

Isnt she adorable, btw?

image320x240.jpg

Strange as it may seem, she's become the center of a major rift in the deaf community here in New York. Some love her, but many despise her with the fury of a thousand suns. So much controversy for someone so young!

Crazy!

I suppose the hearing impaired have more a say and more of an opinion than I do on the matter, I'm just a random hearing hornball in Queens.

No accumulation yet here in Boston. I have a shelf in my basement that I use to store my cleaned, empty bottles that when full and properly balanced between 12oz and 22oz bottles has a capacity of exactly 5 gallons. After my last bottling I am short on the big guys. I just took this reprieve to run out and load up on some 22 ouncers of local microbrews to try. They'll get me through the storm and get me ready for my next brew day!

Opposite here. I lived in St. Petersburg, Russia for 1 year and 14 days. I hate the freaking cold. Gimme blistering heat!

I like a modest temperature. NJ Typically stays between 30-90 outside of the occasional cold snap and heat wave. And I like it. My girlfriend's family is from north country New Hampshire, and yeah, continually having single digit temps and negative temps isn't my thing either. Though I think have unbearably hot days be 85 degrees would also be nice

A buddy mine just posted on FB about how stocking up on beer is right up there with food, gas, and drinking water.

Also handy to have on hand for that neighbor who decides to snowblow the whole block.

Picked up a sixer of 'gansett this morning. Have actually never had it but felt it would make a good snowblower beer. lol

Back