Lid for keggle if there's no lip?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broham1

Reaction score
As you can see from the picture, my welder did an amazing job of cutting the lip away completely. Of course, I forgot I would need a bit of a lip to rest a lid on. D'oh!

What do all of you suggest? I was thinking of maybe installing some brackets, or even just bolts where I want the lid to rest. What are some other ideas?

image-1122619611.jpg

At this point I would see if your welder can fill the holes and find a lid that would fit the top lip. Good luck and Happy brewing.

Im_Lars said:
At this point I would see if your welder can fill the holes and find a lid that would fit the top lip. Good luck and Happy brewing.

Unfortunately, he's 450 miles away. Any other options?

Wow! He did do a great job. It will be a lot easier to rinse out! I'd go with bolts or brackets as your mentioned. The lid just needs something to rest on. Is this a boil kettle or mash tun?

Dan said:
Wow! He did do a great job. It will be a lot easier to rinse out! I'd go with bolts or brackets as your mentioned. The lid just needs something to rest on. Is this a boil kettle or mash tun?

It's going to BIAB, mostly.

The reason I asked if it was a mash tun or boil kettle is because with a boil kettle a good seal on a lid is no big deal but then again since you're using it as both I still don't think a perfect seal is a big deal. Are you direct firing or going electric? It really doesn't matter either way because you can add heat by some method so a perfect seal is no big deal.

Was just curious about your set up. I wish I would have known about BIAB before I built my system. (standard HLT/cooler mash tun/keggle) It would take up a whole lot less room than my current set-up.

Happy brewing!!

Dan said:
The reason I asked if it was a mash tun or boil kettle is because with a boil kettle a good seal on a lid is no big deal but then again since you're using it as both I still don't think a perfect seal is a big deal. Are you direct firing or going electric? It really doesn't matter either way because you can add heat by some method so a perfect seal is no big deal.

I'm going electric. 240V receptacle getting installed Wednesday! :cheers:

Yeah, I was thinking ill be recirculating and all to maintain temps anyway, so airtight isn't essential.

Thanks!

I don't really have a lid for mine- but I accidentally found out that a coleman cooler lid (10 gallon size, round) fits over the keggle at the top. So, that's what I use for my MLT lid now!

I'm going electric. 240V receptacle getting installed Wednesday! :cheers:

Yeah, I was thinking ill be recirculating and all to maintain temps anyway, so airtight isn't essential.

Thanks!

Man, you're doing it right! I could have save money on burners and mlt and and HLT and just had an additional dedicated 240 service installed.

Back