What went wrong? (saison far too sour)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badwater

Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I have brewed a good number of beers, and all have turned out great except my Saison. Actually, when I first tasted it after a few weeks in the bottle it was fantastic, and I thought one of my best home brews. However, it's now about 4 months later and the beer is absolutely undrinkable. It's so sour it honestly tastes like unsweetened lemon juice. It wasn't stored under the best of conditions (it got warm), so I'm wondering if the wine yeast re-activated and underwent a third fermentation (I do a secondary fermentation with all of my beers) which used up all of the residual sugar. It's actually been downhill with the beer since I first tasted it (it started out great and has become increasingly sour/citrus flavored). I also have to open the beer in the sink as it overflows the minute I remove the pop-top. With the last saison I opened, it was stored in a 40oz container and I got less than a pint of beer after the foam had gone down (finished making a mess of everything). Stout is my specialty, and my favorite beer, but I do enjoy a nice light Belgian on a hot Californian afternoon, so I'd like to know what went wrong so that I can (successfully) brew more in the future.
Thanks in advance!

Back