ruination's 10th anniversery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well good and bad news. Took a hydro sample last night. 1.019. The krausen dropped, but there is still airlock activity. My experience with WLP007 is that it usually chews off a few points after the krausen drops, but not 5 points. My best guess is that i'll finish around 1.016 to 1.017. A little higher than I hoped.

The good news. It tastes exactly how I hoped, so the difference might not even be noticeable.

What was your mash temp? Would you go a little lower on a subsequent batch to get more fermentables? This one is definitely in the schedule.

What was your mash temp? Would you go a little lower on a subsequent batch to get more fermentables? This one is definitely in the schedule.

148*. Honestly, attenuation was my only concern with this recipe. 85% apparent attenuation is a lot to ask for from an English yeast with an all-malt 1.096 gravity beer. We'll know how low mine got to in the next two days or so. I think blasting the crap out of your wort with pure O2 might make up the difference. If not, maybe 145-146* for a mash temp might help. Personally, I've never noticed much difference mashing at 145 to 148. And then lastly, there's the ace in the hole (corn sugar). I know they don't use any, but maybe it would help us....

Anyway, I'm rambling.

1.017 and not moving. I'm going to rouse the yeast a little bit, and then transfer to secondary. Hopefully the movement, and the oxygen pickup will get the yeast going again. If not, oh well, it still tastes great.

I've gained 2 points on rousing/secondary before. Even at 17 it should be great. Plenty of alcohol/hops to balance the malt.

I had a bottle of this last night. Ruination is one of my favorites, but I was disappointed by the anniversary edition. It just didn't have any of that dank aroma I love in the regular Ruination. I thought this was just a more intense version, so presumably the dankness would be increased. What am I missing?

I picked up two bottles this past weekend. I am so pumped to try them but I'm sick but I don't want to waste a bottle when I might not be able to fully experience it! I'm gonna drink my second bottle in a month as a tradition with my roommates and I'll have to see how well it ages.

Had it and it is great. Very hoppy and in yo face just as expected. I really enjoyed it and will garb a few more very soon.

Any updates yet?! I'm dying to clone this recipe and waiting to see how yours comes out!

1.017 and not moving. I'm going to rouse the yeast a little bit, and then transfer to secondary. Hopefully the movement, and the oxygen pickup will get the yeast going again. If not, oh well, it still tastes great.

Ya, I roused the yeast, and racked to secondary. When I got home from work, the beer has dropped dead clear, and it measured 1.017. It's done.

Tasted the sample. DEAD on. Mine's just a pinch sweeter and fuller in the mouth. Carbonation and dry hopping should help that. I'll start the dry hopping tonight. It'll be ten days before I keg it.

At this point, I wouldn't change a thing with the recipe, other than oxygenating much more, and maybe a bigger starter (6-6.5 qt)

scottland said:
Ya, I roused the yeast, and racked to secondary. When I got home from work, the beer has dropped dead clear, and it measured 1.017. It's done.

Tasted the sample. DEAD on. Mine's just a pinch sweeter and fuller in the mouth. Carbonation and dry hopping should help that. I'll start the dry hopping tonight. It'll be ten days before I keg it.

At this point, I wouldn't change a thing with the recipe, other than oxygenating much more, and maybe a bigger starter (6-6.5 qt)

Excellent news.

548196_10150915743448613_1643639944_n.jpg

Ya... Cali rocks...

Alright, dry hops are in. Don't worry, that's only half the total dry hop. 1.6oz Centennial and 1.6oz Citra.

I'll repeat that addition in 5-6 days.

DSC_6454.jpg

atom said:
in CA maybe... i'm hoping it makes it to PA, but if it does i wouldn't be surprised at $15-$20 a bottle here...

Did not read whole post to see if you got some. It was $9 at my local source for bottles. Bought a case later after drinking one bottle I bought and it was 79.99 plus tax

Our first shipment arrives in Phoenix tomorrow. I'll pick up a couple more bottles so I have one to compare mine to.

Awesome!! Going to brew your recipe on Saturday. Hopefully all goes well.

Did you end up putting 3.2oz or 4.8oz of hops at flame out?

Picked up a couple more bottles. These will be the last few I buy. Need at least one to compare to my clone

DSC_6463.jpg

scottland said:
Picked up a couple more bottles. These will be the last few I buy. Need at least one to compare to my clone

I'm jealous. I drank the one and only bottle I could find tonight and I wish I had more... this beer is awesome! Be sure to post back with how close you get with the clone.

Back