Krausen not dropped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigapinnc

Reaction score
Brewing a wheat. It has been two weeks in the primary ( I wasn't going to secondary this one) and the krausen hasn't dropped out of it. It still has a thick krausen. Is this ok? What should I do?

What strain did you use? Usually I got 3 weeks on Belgians and then carefully insert the siphon through the krausen into the wort and siphon out from under the krausen. It could take more than a month for it to drop naturally.

Well then that could explain it. It is a white labs belgian wit. Just from looking at it tonight, I can see it has dropped down a little. Maybe by the end of the week it will be in good shape

I'd say give it another week or two, and if it hasn't gone down then just rack out from under it when you bottle or keg. You don't need to secondary, unless you want to...

I just did a 400 wit and thought it was going down about 14 days after brewday, came back today and it was inching its way towards the top of the carboy again.

Stauffbier said:
I'd say give it another week or two, and if it hasn't gone down then just rack out from under it when you bottle or keg. You don't need to secondary, unless you want to...

I JUST racked a wit with the same strain if yeast. It would not drop. I left town for a week and when I got back it was gone. FG 1.009 and really clean.

My Wit took 3+ weeks for the krausen to drop! Id give it another week as others suggested.

Ok perfect. Yea I wasn't going to secondary this one anyways. Not particularly worried about clarity with a wheat ha. I'll just let it hang out in the Carboy for another week. Thanks for the help

The same proteins in wheat that give wheat beers really excellent head forming abilities also make the krausen stiffer and fluffier. It'll just take longer to drop. I like to wait until it does, because the beer is just getting better while I wait, and I don't like scrubbing protein off of my autosiphon.

Back