Wet shaving thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before he went to school this fall, my 20 year old said he'd like to have a shave bowl and brush like mine, which he uses when he's home, so I got him a set. I asked if he wanted a safety razor then, but he said no thanks. Then about a month ago, he asked if I had any extra safety razors and I told him no, but if he wanted one, I'd get it for him. He has been using his new Merkur for a few weeks now and likes it. Apparently, one of his school buddies uses a safety razor, also.

No reason to keep out, Sharona, its not a boys club.

My father passed away some years ago, but he taught me how to shave using a safety razor and canned goo, however he abandoned the safety razor shave for a new fangled electric razor shortly after.

I think we all want to try the new product or gizmo. many of us in this thread had shave related woes from electrics and the latest multiblade hooey and have since gone full circle to the old ways that just work better, were my father still alive I think he would have gone the same route as I did.

My son is 9 month old, when he is old enough I will teach him the art of a quaity wet shave, how to properly use a safety razor, and as he gets older I will teach him to shave with a straight razor.

My son (second child, first is my awesome daughter) is due in July and it will be a few years, but I'm looking forward to having that dad/son shave lesson as well.

You go, azscoob! There seem to be fewer arts for men to teach sons nowadays, and face-shaving is something a mom can't teach, by example or google. You guys are giving me hope for a new generation of men. I do think that a straight razor gives appreciation for the necessity of precision and mindfulness. Learn its importance, then apply as needed in any area of life. Slow down and consider the consequences :)
Oh, yeah. I promised to keep out! Sorry!

I'm so pumped to teach my son (and daughter) stuff. Rifle, pistol, and archery. Hunting and fishing. How to change oil, brakes, a clutch, etc. I'm looking forward to getting into a welding class at a tech school some time and then to be able to pass that one. How to safely run a chainsaw and fell trees. Just man survival stuff and nothing wrong with a lady knowing how to do some of that stuff.

You all heard of that girl that bought a car at 12 years old with her own money and has been working for a few years on restoring it?
http://www.themorningsun.com/articles/2012/04/23/news/doc4f95b6bda6346061060231.txt

I know I don't belong here, and won't bother you again, but I think it's really nice.
I've actually had an interest in the old-fashioned wet shave. Seems like an exotic man-ritual that has gone by the wayside. I think that young men could really benefit from learning some of these rituals. Something to be passed down from father to son. That a DAD teaches.

You go, azscoob! There seem to be fewer arts for men to teach sons nowadays, and face-shaving is something a mom can't teach, by example or google. You guys are giving me hope for a new generation of men. I do think that a straight razor gives appreciation for the necessity of precision and mindfulness. Learn its importance, then apply as needed in any area of life. Slow down and consider the consequences :)
Oh, yeah. I promised to keep out! Sorry!

Women have parts to shave too.

jtkratzer said:
Not yet, it's teetering though.

On that note, my wife surprised me with a 59' Gillette Fatboy that I am thinking of having replated. Has anyone here used a company like Razor Emporium to have their razors restored?

On that note, my wife surprised me with a 59' Gillette Fatboy that I am thinking of having replated. Has anyone here used a company like Razor Emporium to have their razors restored?

Haven't done it, but I'm also considering it with my Slim and my '38 Tech as they're my two favorites. I bought a Fatboy and had to return it, it was heinous.

Some day I am going to read this whole thread for some advice. Personally, I shave like Helen Keller in the shower to save time, and wind up with mohawks all over my face. That or I bleed like a stuck pig.

By the way, is it just me? Every relationship I have ever been in that made it to the official or unofficial cohabitation portion of our program, it always wound up that she'd use my razor, and Id use her shaving cream. Don't look at me like that, lanolin rocks.

Ugh. My quaint town switched to a new well, water is quite different, soaps that used to work now suck bad. Nicks and weepers to go along with it. Those soaps now lather into huge bubbles with no slickness. If I add EVOO it gets worse. Oddly the one cream that never worked well now is my best option. Time to try RO water for building lather.

I have been working an Asco blade for three shaves now, the first was a tad rough, but as is typical for me number two and three were amazing, both were BBS with zero irritation when using the early (triangular hole) tech razor.

I plan to push the blade to dullness and see how it stacks up against my favorites.

Yeap, gonna have to put my 1904 back in the medicine cabinet... shaving too close for comfort with the new apartment.

Ohwell, Why I got the fatboy! :)

Maybe I'll give the 1904 to my dad...

I'm glad I found this thread. I have been using straight razors for years now and have amassed a small collection. It has been a few years since I have purchased a razor and at this point really don't see a need to buy another. I sharpen my own blades. I use a Norton 4000/8000 stone that works very well.

The display case is just a Pen display case I bought at Michael's craft store but it works well for my razors.

From left to right:

Wapienica- NOS from Poland. 1/4 hollow ground. This thing is a beast of a razor and works wonders on thicker stubble. You can find them on eBay. I replaced the metal factory scales with the red dyed bone scales.

Dovo- 5/8" with ebony scales. This razor has a point to it and is not the normal rounded Dovo blade.

Dovo- 5/8" Special with Plastic mother of pearl scales.

Dovo- 5/8" Classic with plain white scales.

Beau Brummel- 5/8" plastic tortoise scales. Pointed 1950s or 60s???

Beau Brummel- 5/8" Hammered finish, Grey mother of pearl scales. pointed. 1950s or 60s.

Wacker- made by the great Heribert Wacker in Germany. 6/8" "Antik" model. With black buffalo horn scales. My personal favorite. Rounded blade.

(Opened Razor) Wacker- 7/8" "Jungmeister" model. Spanish point razor with blonde buffalo horn. This is a big razor. I have a small face so this razor took some getting used to.

image-483427286.jpg

I have been trying more assorted blades as well as revisiting blades in different razors. I got four days out of an Asco blade in my go to razor, the early version Tech. Three passes each shave before it started pulling. The last couple of passes weren't horrible just felt grabby so I ditched the blade.

Tomorrow I am going for either a feather in the 1911 Gillette ABC, or an Astra in the NEW.

sticks70 said:
I read this thread for the first time about 6 weeks ago. I ordered my Merkur 34 C a couple weeks after that - after doing some more research. I also have a boar brush and a soap bowl. I'm going to upgrade to a badger brush, once I get the hang of this.

I absolutely love to shave now! I turned a miserable chore into a fun hobby.

Update: Just returned from Vegas. I was there for a conference. I bought my first badger brush and a tube of CO Bigelo. Thanks to everyone on this thread for showing me this new hobby. This is turning out to be a lot of fun!

I don't think about this stuff too much.

But then again I dry shave. And half the time I'm using a straight razor with short fast swipes.

WOW! Got a new job and shaving daily, Usually night before work (still get a few weepers on neck around collar line) but baby ass smooth after several months after switching over to this double edge razor! so much closer than a mac 3! (which I use to shave my head... havent gotten brave enough to do the dome!) I'm a Convert wilkenson swords from Wally world do a really good job!!

starrfish said:
WOW! Got a new job and shaving daily, Usually night before work (still get a few weepers on neck around collar line) but baby ass smooth after several months after switching over to this double edge razor! so much closer than a mac 3! (which I use to shave my head... havent gotten brave enough to do the dome!) I'm a Convert wilkenson swords from Wally world do a really good job!!

Don't be scared. I shine my dome with Wilkerson swords in my Merkur.

Great, I just stumbled upon this thread and am 50+ pages in and realized I now have another thing to obsess about besides brewing. I am sold on wet shaving now. Like I don't spend enough time on HBT, I now have to go over to Badger & Blade to learn more about the art of shaving. I will now be spending ungodly amounts of time in the bathroom shaving.......so much so that my wife & kids will probably be banging on the door wondering if everything is OK in the bathroom. On the other hand my wife will be very happy with my decision to shave on a more consistent basis since most times I find myself only shaving once or twice a week (more if I actually have to look presentable) cause I don't really have to, but also because the razor bumps are just annoying despite what razor I use (cheap disposable, Mach 3, or any other disposable razor for the matter). Here's to another obsession to throw money and time at. :D

I'm a Mitchell's Wool Fat supporter. Like others, I grate the soap into my bowl and press it back together.

Also, from time to time I'll add a few drops of shave secret to the lather. Occasionally I shave with just the shave secret and my old cartridge (like when traveling with the SE is not practical) with good results!

Todays combo was my 1911 Gillette ABC and a feather blade. Aggressive blade and aggressive razor made for a close shave, just one minor weeper

Just mailed my dad some stout, a Merkur 1904 and a sampling of blades. The injector I got him for Christmas isn't tripping his trigger like it did back in the day. Going to see if a DE does it for him... Otherwise I'll just keep up to his ears in SkinBracer blue and Proraso LOL :)

SWMBO just surprised me with a 1966 Gillette Travel Tech. I've never seen one year things before and it is super tiny. It's funny the made DE "travel kits" since they are already pretty compact. I can't find much info online about these but it's a pretty cool eBay find.

image-59950356.jpg

image-2617958318.jpg

image-290395631.jpg

Those are pretty cool. Just got one of those myself. Exact same case. Tiny handle doesnt fit in my big hands too well though.

Nice find and cool swmbo grabbed it for ya.

FastAndy said:
SWMBO just surprised me with a 1966 Gillette Travel Tech. I've never seen one year things before and it is super tiny. It's funny the made DE "travel kits" since they are already pretty compact. I can't find much info online about these but it's a pretty cool eBay find.

I have one too, and I thought the same thing. Can't remember what year it is though.

I always wanted a travel case one! My Gillette 55 TTO is hard to pack with blades. I'm always worried it's gonna get damaged.

Recently I sprung for the whipped dog sight unseen straight razor deal, the razor was indeed shave ready and in great shape, just needed some cleanup and a polish. Using some oxyclean and my dremel I got it looking great! I will post pics when I get to my desktop.

I was strolling thru the personal hygiene section at the store yesterday. Man am I glad I switched to a DE a few years back. Canned Goo was $3.99 on sale. Guess I won't complain about $15-20 for soap that lasts a couple years in rotation and $.25 blades.

MisterTipsy said:
Is this really a 54 page thread about shaving?

I read this thread for the first time, two months ago. Now i own three brushes, two safety razors, three shaving mugs, and about six different kinds of soaps and creams. My wife and kids make fun of me, but I'm having too much fun!

About old school wet shaving? Sure is. Grab a safety razor and a shave brush and come on in.

I think I do a different kind of wet shaving.

I shave in the shower without a mirror. I use a two blade Schick disposable and King of Shaves gel. Works like a charm. Plus, I can pee, shower and shave all at the same time. :ban:

Back