jolly pumpkin - oro de calabaza - Bad bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerkrump

Reaction score
I picked up one of these this weekend and was looking forward to it. It chilled in my fridge for about 8 hours. So, I put the bottle on the counter. Open it and grab a glass. When I turn around I see foam pouring from the bottle. I grab the bottle and sip the foam and get a mouthful of... cider?

Reading the reviews and notes on the beer, I get none of the Brett character as I sip away. Did I get a bad bottle? All I got was a watery, cidery beer. Maybe an aceto bacteria infection?

Most of Jolly Pumpkin's specialties are open fermented and are pretty much guaranteed to be infected with lots of stuff. I went to their brewpub in Ann Arbor last fall and was underwhelmed by the seasonals. The standards were pretty good, but everything is very light bodied, no mouth feel at all.

I drink a lot of JP. I've never been to the brewery, but i have always been pretty impressed with what they are doing. i don't think the OP's description of what he tasted fits with anything that they would want to put out. when a complex array of micro- organisms are used to produce a beer, the margins of what can potentially happen certainly open up a bit, but that's why they blend. "infections" can still happen, even when your beer is "infected"

Back