Alternative Grain Beer Boos Myller "Want some Rye" Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCericola

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast #1271
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
4.0 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days, 68F
Tasting Notes
Crisp and clean, slight hint of spice, great lawn work drink
Code:
Recipe: Boos Myller "Want some rye?" Ale
Style: American Wheat or Rye Beer
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.70 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.20 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal   
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 4.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 23.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
1 lbs                 Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM)                     Adjunct       1        8.7 %         
7 lbs                 Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM)           Grain         2        60.9 %        
1 lbs 8.0 oz          Rice, Flaked (1.0 SRM)                   Grain         3        13.0 %        
1 lbs 8.0 oz          Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM)                    Grain         4        13.0 %        
8.0 oz                Rye Malt (4.7 SRM)                       Grain         5        4.3 %         
0.50 oz               Sterling [7.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min        Hop           6        15.9 IBUs     
0.25 oz               Sterling [7.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min        Hop           7        4.8 IBUs      
1.00 tsp              Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins)              Fining        8        -             
0.50 oz               Sterling [7.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min         Hop           9        3.2 IBUs      
1.0 pkg               American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [124 Yeast         10       -             

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 11 lbs 8.0 oz
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash In           Add 14.38 qt of water at 163.7 F        152.0 F       60 min        

Sparge: Batch sparge with 1 steps (4.49gal) of 168.0 F water

This was the first recipe I ever come up with on my own. I only had an idea of what I wanted to brew - a nice light summer beer with a bit of rye flavor in it. I spent an evening reading and finally plugging numbers into Beersmith until I came up with this. I know competition-wise it wouldn't really be classified as a rye ale but this isn't a competition so here it is.

I was very surprised with how this turned out being my first recipe. I'm even more surprised than my friends who are usually stout drinkers have enjoyed this quite a bit.

Overall, the taste is light, refreshing and crisp with a slight hint of spice. I almost want to try changing the 60-minute and 20-minute additions to get more of the sterling flavor in the beer. I plan on brewing another batch or two of this for the summer months.

Looking forward to some feedback, and hoping to hear that someone else tries this. If you're nearby, maybe we can swap a bottle or two.

Do you really boil off 1 1/2 gallons an hour? That's one hell of a stove! I'm envious for sure.

Propane burner, and yeah, depending on the wind it can be worse. For example, yesterday I brewed on a windy day. Pre-boil I was just under 7-gallons. Post 60-minute boil I was just under 5. A few weeks ago - 7-gallons in boiled down to just over 5 1/4 in 60-minutes.

I imagine some what I'l saying is boil-off is really a bit of loss to the hops + chilling but I imagine it's a very small part compared to the actual boil off.

Not the best pic, but yum!

BoosMyller.jpg

Back