WLP670 American Farmhouse Blend need starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewNow

Reaction score
For all my sac yeast purchases I always do a starter. With this strain having a brett component, I am not sure if a starter should be done. Any experiences either way?

For what it's worth, I have a vial of this sitting in the fridge and have been doing the same sort of research. I've seen a lot of people say to just pitch it, as the Brett will like the stress of underpitching. I've also seen people say they make starters and it doesn't really mess up the saach/Brett ratio. I plan on just pitching the vial.

Yes, make a starter. You still need a decent amount of Sacc yeast.

As someone said, Brett works better when stressed (anaerobic rather than aerobic), so normally when using Brett as a secondary yeast, you would not make a starter.

In this case, WLP670 contains both a Sacc and a Brett yeast. The Sacc yeast works quicker than the Brett and will use up the majority of the oxygen before the Brett gets started, leaving the Brett very little to work with..

Back