This Is Not A Beer, It's An IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keffa

Reaction score
So, went ahead and pulled the trigger on an ounce of Centennial, 4 oz of Amarillo, and 4 oz of Simcoe, since the combo of Amarillo and Simcoe is so good.

So, this is what my friend Robert and myself are going to brew from it (for real this time :p)

This Is Not A Beer, It's An IPA

6.50 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter
5.00 lb Vienna Malt
2.50 lb 2 Row Pale
0.38 lb Carapils

Mash at 150

.5 Centennial @ 60
1oz Amarillo @ 15
1oz Simcoe @ 15
1oz Amarillo @ 5
1oz Simcoe @ 5
.5oz Amarillo KO steep for 10 minutes
.5oz Simcoe KO steep for 10 minutes
.5oz Centennial KO steep for 10 minutes
1.5oz Amarillo Dry hop for 7 days
1.5oz Simcoe Dry hop for 7 days

US05 for 7 days @ 66F, 7 days dry hop.

Comments/suggestions welcome, since the beer hasn't been brewed yet.

Centennial/Simcoe/Amarillo has to be my favorite combination of hops that I've come across so far. The hopping schedule looks good, if I were brewing it I might up the 60 minute addition because I can't imagine you'd be getting much more than 20 IBUs or so from only a half oz of Centennial. Also, with that much MO and Vienna you'll be getting quite a bit of character from the malt, but if that's what you like in your IPAs then you're definitely on the right track.

Centennial/Simcoe/Amarillo has to be my favorite combination of hops that I've come across so far. The hopping schedule looks good, if I were brewing it I might up the 60 minute addition because I can't imagine you'd be getting much more than 20 IBUs or so from only a half oz of Centennial. Also, with that much MO and Vienna you'll be getting quite a bit of character from the malt, but if that's what you like in your IPAs then you're definitely on the right track.

The 1 oz each of Amarillo and Simcoe at 15 adds around 30 IBU. The IBU/SG ratio is .777.

The 1 oz each of Amarillo and Simcoe at 15 adds around 30 IBU. The IBU/SG ratio is .777.

I usually shoot for an IBU/SG of at least 1.00 in my IPAs with the Tinseth approximation. For me, anything less than that just tastes like an overweight APA. That's just my personal preference though.

I'm trying to keep it in the BJCP guidelines, between 40 and 70 IBU, and as it sits, it's 56.1 IBU. Adding the other .5 oz of Centennial to 60 minutes gives me over 80.

FWIW, I'm trying to keep this one in the guidelines for entry into a couple local homebrew events. Everything is within the guidelines, and as long as it finishes between 1.015-1.018, I'll be okay for ABV. This one is going to have a good bit of perceived bitterness from the later additions IMO.

If this one is even half as good as our "mistake" IPA, then we'll be happy with it :p

Btw, this beer's name is a play off of a song title from Psychostick (This Is Not A Song, It Is A Sandwich).

Seeing them tonight in Columbus.

Maybe I'm crazy but I find Simcoe hops to dominate the flavor profile when they are used with other hops. So I'd personally either use less Simcoe or use more Amarillo/Centennial...

I think you might be the odd one out. Columbus IPA uses a LOT of Simcoe in it, and I find all kinds of flavors in it, pineapple, pine, citrus, tropical fruit, resin, etc.

I can't wait for the hops to get here so I can brew already. I'm getting impatient :p

That is true about columbusIPA, but their grain bill is much simpler. I think its 2-row, little crystal and some sugar if I remember correctly.

I like the low amount at 60. You'll be getting even more IBUs from the KO additions that are steeped (you can approximate how many by calculating if they were added at 20 mins). Just did an APA with only 60 addition and then whirlpool - it's got tons of hop bitterness, flavor, and aroma. I'm a believer in the hot steep/whirlpool!

That is true about columbusIPA, but their grain bill is much simpler. I think its 2-row, little crystal and some sugar if I remember correctly.

I'm sure I could get Tony to get me close. I know he wouldn't give me the hop bill, but he told me that A LOT of it was Simcoe.

Got my hops in, the Amarillo came in today, the others 2 days ago.

Pictures to come once it's brewed and such.

Back