Sulfites in welches frozen white grape juice concentrate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephanj88

Reaction score
So I went and got all the stuff I needed to do a batch of yoopers welches grape juice wine. I didn't bother to check the container of frozen concentrate because I had seen in yoopers thread that the white grape juice concentrate would work just the same. The problem I have ran into is it says it has sulfites added to it. I don't know if it did a few years ago when those posts in yoopers thread were made. Does any one know if this will be to much of a problem as sulfites can inhibit fermentation. Has any one used this with sulfites. I also ran across this page talking about how to make a starter to overcome this. Will this work if the sulfites would be a problem winemaking: requested recipe (Welch's Grape Juice Wine)
:mug:

The sulfites are perfectly fine. Don't use any additional campden, but make the must according to the recipe and it'll be fine. Wine yeast is pretty tolerant of sulfites, but they dissipate quickly anyway.

Make up the must, and stir, stir, stir, stir. Wait 24 hours or longer, then add the yeast. Stir periodically until you add the yeast. It'll take off just fine.

No problem. It's sort of a joke around here- I guess I "look" like a guy on the internet.

In any case, I've been thinking more about this and if you want to be ultra safe, you could follow Jack Keller's advice on making a bigger starter. I'd probably be inclined to buy two packages of yeast and just make the first one by the recipe (stirring to dissipate any sulfite that I can) and then add the yeast 24 hours later. But if that doesn't take off, then use Jack Keller's directions as a fall-back.

I did the same thing as the op. Thank you for already answering my question.

Back