Yeast for Summer Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtchuck

Reaction score
I'm planning a wheat summer ale, similar to J. Palmer's Three Weiss Guys Wheat Beer, calling for 6.6 lbs. Wheat LME, .5 Sterling 60 mins, .75 Liberty 30 mins, & 1.0 Liberty 0 mins.

I have the following dry yeasts: Safbrew S33, Muntons, Muntons Gold, Safale US05, Safale S04, Coopers & Windsor.

Recommendations??

TIA

For a true hefe, your gonna need to get a hefe yeast strain from White Labs or WYeast. Nice stock of dry yeasts, but to be true to the style, none will work.

For a true wheat beer you need a wheat yeast, american or german, but they only come in liquid form. You can make a wheat beer with dry yeast too though, it won't be traditional but it wil be good. I'd recommend the S04, I used it on the caramel cream ale which is half wheat and it turned out might fine.

What has been said is true, especially if you're shooting for a German Wheat Beer, some American Wheats are done with 1056 or the equivilent (or your case US-05).

ilikestuff said:
For a true hefe, your gonna need to get a hefe yeast strain from White Labs or WYeast. Nice stock of dry yeasts, but to be true to the style, none will work.

Actually shooting for an American Wheat. In re-reading Palmer's recipe, it calls for Nottingham dry yeast, so I'll either try to find that at my LHBS or go with the Windsor or the US-05. Thanks for the suggestions

Back