BABBLE Brew-Off 2011

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobly99

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is anyone planning on entering the BABBLE Brew-Off 2011?

I have never entered any competitions before, but since this one is local to me and I can just drop off my entry at the LHBS, I think I'm going to submit a few entries. Probably will enter my Cranberry Dry Irish Stout and maybe my IPA if I get it carbed up in time.

I'm def thinking about it. I have a couple of beers in line that might do ok. Nothing so far that amazes myself. A wit that seems a bit dry, but only just got in the keg. Mayb ethe carb will straighten it out. And an Oktoberfest that needs 3 more weeks to lager before kegging.

I have exactly two 22 ouncers left of my Squash (pumpkin) Ale which was an awesome beer. Maybe I'll enter those as well.

I had some Cyser sitting around, so I entered it. Normally they have a good turn out for entries, and since it's local it's easy if you have some sitting around.

I think I had entered a few bombers in the past, and I didn't lose any points but they did make a note of it on one of the score sheets.

I think I had entered a few bombers in the past, and I didn't lose any points but they did make a note of it on one of the score sheets.

A note probably thanking you for the extra brew. :D

I entered a Spiced Ale and my Raspberry Melomel.

Just stopped by perfect brewing supply tonight and dropped off my entries. Squash Ale, Cranberry Stout and Vanilla Bourbon Porter. We'll see how I do, I'm just interested in the feedback. Billy said he was holding around 100 entries at the store.

Well I dropped 5 entries off last weekend at Perfect Brewing as well... They had around 40-45 entries at that point, so a lot of procrastinators came in this week!

Hmmm... are you calling me a procrastinator because I dropped it off on Friday the 18th and the rules said last day was Thursday the 18th?

That does describe me pretty well. Thank God for ambiguous dates in the rules.

Well, I'm surprised. My Vanilla Bourbon Porter took 1st place in Specialy Beer category. Cranberry Stout and Squash Ale didn't place. I got my ribbon, but they didn't have the score sheets ready to go yet so have to wait for those in the mail.

mobly, are you still hanging out there? Can you get results for IIPA, Schwarzbier, and Northern English Brown? or tell me where to find them?

Thanks

Well, I'm surprised. My Vanilla Bourbon Porter took 1st place in Specialy Beer category. Cranberry Stout and Squash Ale didn't place. I got my ribbon, but they didn't have the score sheets ready to go yet so have to wait for those in the mail.

Were you there for the judging?

I had emailed them to ask if I'd be able to pick up my score sheets if I showed up, and they told me one of my enties was up for BOS. I showed up about 4:45, they had already finished judging the individual flights, and were getting ready to do judging for best of show. I left after they announced the winners around 7. Sorry, I don't know the results for anything else, but I think the results should be posted on their web site tomorrow.

Sorry, I don't know the results for anything else, but I think the results should be posted on their web site tomorrow.

Yeah, but anticipation is a *****. :mug:

Just sitting here drinking HB and waiting. I didn't enter the UMMO this year, but I liked how they did a blog feed of the results real time as they announced them at the awards ceremony.

Yeah, but anticipation is a *****. :mug:

Just sitting here drinking HB and waiting. I didn't enter the UMMO this year, but I liked how they did a blog feed of the results real time as they announced them at the awards ceremony.

That's awesome. And really, how hard is it to have a dude on a laptop posting results?

In this day and age, the results should be online within 30 minutes of the end of the event.

That's awesome. And really, how hard is it to have a dude on a laptop posting results?

In this day and age, the results should be online within 30 minutes of the end of the event.

I agree. I didn't have any beers in UMMO, but I knew some people who did and was able to sit here and drink beer watching the results come through. IIRC Schooner comp in Milwaukee posted the results on facebook as they came through too.

Just gonna have to sit tight... Babble hasn't exactly been prompt in past events. It took them several days to post results from their American Cup this past July 4th. Maybe it will be better this time around.

I shot an email to Babble asking them if they would consider doing a twitter feed or something in the future. I also sent an email to the BN with the same idea. They have the power of radio to try to spread the idea to all competitions. Let's try to spread this around to get every club to do real time results online. It really wouldn't be that hard for them to do. It is a lot more fun to follow along on a Saturday night while drinking beer than to see the results on a pdf monday or tuesday morning.

Even just scanning and posting the paper results, rather than waiting to retype them. That would take, oh I don't know, 2 extra minutes on the day of the event.

I didn't see Mr. Kibzey in any of the awards. Wonder if he is taking some time off after a few years of total competition domination including two Longshot finals and 2010 MWHBOY.

I came in second place in the Dark Lager category with a Dunkel Lager losing out in that category to the eventual Overall BOS winner which was also a Dunkel Lager.

I am also anxious to see the score sheets.

I came in second place in the Dark Lager category

Well, you beat me out. I had a Schwarz in there that didn't place. I think it might have been a little past its prime. The hop flavor had pretty much fallen off. Got dinged for that at the last comp a few weeks ago and expecting a similar score sheet here. Scored 37.5 last last time with it. It will be interesting to see where the judges from the brew-off put it.

Darn, 4 enteries and nothing. I was sure my Bock and my Dunkel were good. I won APA last year. I know my wit was too phenolic and really too young. The IPA was dark, rich and malty but used american hops, great brew but a bit odd style-wise, especially with the popularity of pale IPAs.

Darn, going to go have a dunkel now... mmm.

Darn, 4 enteries and nothing. I was sure my Bock and my Dunkel were good. I won APA last year. I know my wit was too phenolic and really too young. The IPA was dark, rich and malty but used american hops, great brew but a bit odd style-wise, especially with the popularity of pale IPAs.

Darn, going to go have a dunkel now... mmm.

I had a pretty good year last year, probably about a 40% win rate and entered almost everything because I wanted the feedback (not just the stuff I knew was very good). Then last comp of the year I went 0/4. There is a lot of variability in judging so that sort of thing will happen from time to time, don't take it personally.

Winner winner chicken dinner. Disappointed to see that a couple of my brews did not place, but the Robust Porter that was a totally self-fabricated recipe came in first. :ban:

Eager to see all of the sheets regardless. I didn't detect off flavors in any of them and want to verify this is the same with the judges and to see where my interpretation of the style may have fallen short of expectations.

Last year, I think I got mine the Friday following.

I have not received mine this year. This is the only competition taht I enter, so I am getting anxious.

Nothing here as of Saturday.

I was looking at the results and noticed that, contrary to what was posted, there was no separate BOS for meads and ciders.

There was a separate group that appeared to be judging ciders for BOS. Maybe they just forgot to post it?

I emailed and asked about the score sheets yesterday and he said "I have most of them ready to go - should go tomorrow or the next."

Latest posts

Back