Ontario, Canada grain stores

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killercal

Reaction score
Wow,

I was just online today to purchase some grain and found that mashingheads.com is closed and expertbrewers.com has absolutley no product. I know about homebrew-supplies.ca, but the other two sites were cheaper. I've sent emails to both closed places and will let you know my findings (Ontario homebrewers). Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Thanks,

I'm going to rant a bit here... I find Ontario pretty much useless for homebrewing supplies. Places opening and closing, high prices, questionable service and advice. It's a backwater for homebrewers.

I envy the folks in the US (for their LHBS anyway :D ) with the low prices, vast quantity and variety of supplies and ingredients. Must be nice.

YMMV

I'm going to rant a bit here... I find Ontario pretty much useless for homebrewing supplies. Places opening and closing, high prices, questionable service and advice. It's a backwater for homebrewers.

I envy the folks in the US (for their LHBS anyway :D ) with the low prices, vast quantity and variety of supplies and ingredients. Must be nice.

YMMV

Spot on! Thats exactly what I think! Where do you get your grains/brew equipment from?

How close are you to North Country in upstate NY? If you're looking for bulk it might be worth the trip.

B

I'm about 2 hrs away from NY, I live a little north of Toronto. That might be a good suggestion, bulk buy with multiple Ontario brewers.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Killercal, I'm in Cambridge but am frequently back and forth to London during the school year. I buy by supplies at Brewhaven in London. They're decent. They know enough to be helpful, prices are okay considering I'm not paying for shipping and the variety is decent for grains and hops. I only extract brew right now and that is one thing they definitely lack. They only have pale LME and non-diastatic DME. meh

I have tried Danny's in London also and they are good. A bit more variety but for extract it's the opposite: they have more selection of DME and no bulk LME. Again, meh.

Maybe search online for Southern Ontario Brewers (SOB) and hook up with them for bulk grain/supply buys. Maybe get friendly with one of the breweries up your way like Muskoka, Lake of Bays or Flying Monkeys. I know some breweries don't want to be LHBS but they may be helpful in buying an extra grain bag on one of their orders or something. What's the worst that they can say? No?

Good luck.

Yeah, there is a cool u-brew place here in Barrie, Brews Plus, that seem like they might be able to supply some grain to me or maybe as you mentioned a bulk buy. I'm part of the SOB's, but haven't really gotten into the bulk buy yet as I've really just started out (olny brewed 4 All grain batches). I live 5 minutes from the Flying Monkeys brewery and took the tour, they are really nice in there! They even offered to let me brew with them on brew day if I wanted too. When they order their grain its delivered by a truck and the grain is pumped into a holding silo, they don't get it deliverd in bags so that option would be out with them.

Thanks for the idea, I will likely get in contact with the SOB's and get in on a bulk grain buy.

Cheers

The SOB's had a bulk buy not that long ago so it might be a while before their next one. You could check out www.homebrewgearcanada.com, cheap grain prices and flat rate shipping, out of Owen Sound so somewhat close to you in Barrie.

Excellent site, that one is new to me! Looks like a good site and I will be placing an order with them soon (they don't have enough Marris Otter).

:mug:

Yes, I've called them but never ordered anything from them...yet. Once I start to brew every weekend (I'm hoping too) I will look into that. Thanks Joe.

I brew all grain in London and I find Brewhaven to carry just about everything I need, besides liquid yeast varieties. Sometimes I brew with my father near Ottawa and buy my stuff from http://www.cachettedubootlegger.ca located near Montreal. I believe they ship, and have great prices, worth checking out.

Due to the lack of a homebrewing club north of Toronto serving those of us in the Barrie, Collingwood, Orillia, and surrounding area we have founded one! Click the link below to get to our facebook page.

If you live in the area click the like button so you will be updated for our next meeting and general news. It is our goal to have enough members for JULY meeting! Help us get there!

Simcoe Muskoka Homebrewers

Even if you are not in the area help us with a "like", after we get some number we get a real URL from facebook and can publish the link much better in the local stores etc.

Cheers.

Hi all, I know this reply is to an old thread but --my bro-in law and I are big home brewers and we noticed there was a shortage of places to get our ingredients--so we opened our own shop. www.myhomebrewshop.com. We're located just north of Barrie, Ontario and will ship within canada. Check us out and hopefully we can help with your next brew.

Please like us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/mylocalhomebrewshop

Follow us on Twitter
https://twitter.com/home_brewshop
@home_brewshop

If you just want to come by for a brew, that's cool too. Cheers!

Happy Brewing.

Back