Bottling bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack-A-Roe

Reaction score
Has anyone used some other type of container to bottle from? I've started a second batch of IPA and don't have and extra pail to use. Home brew store is closed today.

Go to the hardware store an get a white or clear painter's bucket...one of the 5 dollar homedepot specials, you can mount a spigot and you are golden. Don't get the HD orange one's though.

bottling_wand.jpg

You can see mine is a hardware store bucket...You can also see if your chinese restaraunt has any soysauce buckets or the bakery has any frosting pales....but really a hardware store bucket is fine...the owner of my lhbs walked next door to the hardware store and grabbed it for me. Some hardware stores even carry plastic spigots as well.

Heading to home depot now. Where would they keep the spigots at?

That I couldn't tell you...I know someone on here got theirs in the camping section of a big box store like walmart...maybe go there instead..

Oh, one thing, do get the lid for the bucket even if it is a couple bucks more...I kinda regret not getting it when I was there...

I always just use saran wrap on the op of my bottling bucket. Has the added advantage of being able to hold the siphon hose inside while the bucket is still covered

I always just use saran wrap on the op of my bottling bucket. Has the added advantage of being able to hold the siphon hose inside while the bucket is still covered

After dumping several ounces of beer the first time I lifted my full bucket up, I found out that a heavy corning glass pot lid fits on my bucket nicely.

One more thing Jack....All 5 gallon buckets are not the same...look for one that actually is a little larger than 5 gallons (even though it says 5 gallons on it) the one you want will usually say something like "5 gallon mark is third line from the top" or "5 gallons is 3 inches from top of bucket."

You need some room....

Back