Steeping Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimiGibbs

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to brew a True Brew Red Ale All Malt kit. The kit comes with Weyermann Melanoidin Malt and a steeping bag and the directions call to boil the water, then place the grains in the bag and steep for 20 to 30 minutes. My questions is do the grains need to be crushed? The directions say nothing about crushing them. If so, any thoughts on how to do this at home without a mill?
Thanks,
Jimi :mug:

First..... I wouldn't follow those directions as stated. Steeping grains at temps above 180°F can lead to harsh, astringent tannins being extracted from the grain husks. Most people steep in water between 150°F and 160°F.

As for crushing them... it's been a long time since I used a kit, but when I DID use them and they included grains, the grains were already cracked open for me.

If yours are whole kernels that have not been milled, then you can put them in a plastic bag and crack them open with a rolling pin or probably even a heavy frying pan.

Don't PULVERIZE them or grind them to a powder... just break them open lightly so that the water can get into the good stuff.

-walker

Thanks Guys .... I'm at work now but I check when I get home but I swear the grains were hole. Maybe just didn't look close enough. Also, thanks for the information about the water temp.
Jimi

You'll see a bit of 'flour' if they've been crushed, as well as grain grits. Should be fairly obvious on examination.

Also, let us know how the melanoidin malt works out. I've used it a few times now and absolutely love the maltiness it imparts. I think it'll make an outstanding red ale.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Also, let us know how the melanoidin malt works out. I've used it a few times now and absolutely love the maltiness it imparts. I think it'll make an outstanding red ale.

I'm wishing we would have put some of that in the 06.06.06 brew. I think.

Back