Plug Popped out of Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I_HOP_GA

Reaction score
First brew there was a lot of foam spewing out to the air lock but everything looked ok. The next morning the air lock had clogged and popped the plug which was left over night. Day 3 not much bubbling coming from airlock. Did I mess it up?

Nope. Use a blowoff tube in the future (tube extending from your plug to a jug of sanitizer, vodka, etc.). They are harder to plug up and are generally regarded as a safer alternative to the airlock.

freisste said:
Nope. Use a blowoff tube in the future (tube extending from your plug to a jug of sanitizer, vodka, etc.). They are harder to plug up and are generally regarded as a safer alternative to the airlock.

Do you think thee fermentation has stopped? Little to no bubbling from air lock this morning.

No, I think it is absolutely fine. Fermentation always slows once the fast, active part is done. This just means that your fast, active part is done. As unionrdr would say, "now it will slowly, uneventfully creep down to FG. Wait for it to settle out clear or slightly misty."

After that, take a gravity reading and another a couple days later. If they are the same, bottle; if not, wait longer.

Thank you so much. I am at work right now and have just been stressing about it all day.

You will be much happier if you leave it be for at least two weeks and 3-4 is even better. I know, it will drive you nuts and you want to drink it! We've all been there! But the yeast will continue to work on the sugars as well as clean up the byproducts of that vigorous fermentation. Your beer will taste so much better with some conditioning time.

So I shouldn't bottle it up after a week or two? I did two batches of different stuff. I think I can manage to keep my hands off of it for a little while. Just need to find a better place to store it.

I'm still real new to this also only on my 3rd batch but the first few days of fermentation are the most vigorous then it will slow. As long as you still are getting bubbles from the air lock even if its only ounce in a while its still fermenting.

Ok great. My dad says my home brew will taste like crap... Really want to make something a little decent.

Latest posts

Back