Simple March / Chugger Pump Swith Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxpx5678

Reaction score
I have a Chugger pump and it is hooked up to my brew stand I am building. I am not faced with the project of building some sort of switch to turn it on and off. What have people done before that is simple and useful? Most the projects I see are intense electric brewery builds.

Would love to see what others have done.

I have one of those intense builds but if you want to go simple I have seen builds with just a light switch. If you get a one gang box, light switch and a cover you can build it really quick. If the pump has a plug on it and you don't want to cut it off you could add an outlet that is powered by the switch.

I have one of those intense builds but if you want to go simple I have seen builds with just a light switch. If you get a one gang box, light switch and a cover you can build it really quick. If the pump has a plug on it and you don't want to cut it off you could add an outlet that is powered by the switch.

Yeah I will probably just do something simple like that. I might even do a easy toolbox build. I want to add pid's eventually but for now I just want something that works.

GFI test/reset buttons are not designed for continuous switching on/off. This could result in premature life or even failure to trip if needed.

No doubt, get a GFI cord or have one in the wall, but don't use it as a switch.

I plan to make a GFI cord from some heavy gauge cable I have, a 2-gang outdoor box on the end, and a GFI and regular outlet. For a switch, I plan to use a remote control outlet like this. They make a single unit model as well, but get the 2 unit one for future expansion.

With this setup, I can have the pumps plugged in off the back of the stand, away from foot traffic. I also will have a GFI wherever I go to brew. And it will all wrap up nicely with some cable straps for storage/transport.

Another option is the Harbor freight foot pedal switch... Also plug-and-play with extra "cool" factor.

MT

Last edited by a moderator:
PVC EXTERIOR GRADE junction box 2-gang, Household exterior plug in one gang, Household exterior grade switch in the other gang. wire the switch to operate the receptacle.

I did this a few weeks ago. I'm no electrician, but managed to figure this out. Here are some pictures of what I ended up doing.

2013-01-19_17-04-47_797.jpg

2013-01-19_17-04-39_778.jpg

DIY GFI cord...

2013-02-11_18-33-49_960_zps0b81ce06.jpg

2013-02-11_18-34-16_788_zps0101b68a.jpg

2013-02-11_18-34-47_210_zpsb6cf89dd.jpg

I just need to pick up a 2-pack of GE remote control outlets and I'll be set.

MT

Back