got some New Zealand hops, need help with a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingfinbar

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I just got my hands on some New Zealand hops for the first time, and I'm dying to make an IPA out of them. I tried Sierra Nevada's Southern Hemisphere Harvest, and absolutely loved it. Here's their page on the beer:http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/harvest_southern.html

They list their bittering hops as NZ Hallertau, and the finishing hops as Motueka and Southern Cross.

Here are the hops I have on hand, in ounces:

2 x New Zealand Pacific Jade Hop Pellets
4 x New Zealand Motueka Pellet Hop
4 x Galaxy Hops Pellet
3 x New Zealand Hallertau Hop Pellets

I wasn't able to get Southern Cross, so I took the liberty of subbing some other NZ hops in. It doesn't have to be exactly like Sierra Nevada's beer, any deliciously aromatic, citrusy IPA will do:D I've also considered cheating a little bit and adding in some Sorachi to compensate for the lack of what Beersmith describes as the "spicy, lemony" taste of Southern Cross.

As for the grain bill, I'm gonna keep it simple to allow the hops to shine through, with 13lbs 2 row and 1lb caramel 60, all fermented with good old Safale.

Any advice on the hops schedule/amounts? I am completely unfamiliar with NZ hops, but I know a great IPA when I taste one, and this sucker was fantastic. Any advice is appreciated!

Well, I found Southern Cross hops, so I now have 4oz on their way to me...plus 4 more Motueka...plus 2 more galaxy... Have I mentioned how much I love hops?

The only NZ hops I have tried were Motueka. I did an IPA with Amarillo and Motueka. It was very good.

Now that you have brought this up I may have to make it again.

How did you use the Motueka? I'm still conflicted on how I want to bitter/finish/dryhop this beer. The website says they use the NZ Hallertau for bittering, but there seems like there are better choices in there. Then again, what do I know?

How did you use the Motueka? I'm still conflicted on how I want to bitter/finish/dryhop this beer. The website says they use the NZ Hallertau for bittering, but there seems like there are better choices in there. Then again, what do I know?

I bittered with magnum. Then added equal patts Amarillo and Moteuka at 15-5- flameout, and then dry hopped with the Moteuka. I like a lot of late addition hops in my brews so I do a bittering addition and then most of my additions from 20 to the end.

I have attempted a clone of this too.
I bittered with southern cross but next time would use magnum. The SC is just too smooth for an IPA.
I used 2.5g/L (1.25g/L each) of motueka and southern cross @ 10min, 0min and dry hop for 7 days.
50IBU but tastes nothing like that. I also used wy1469 which has made it malty and possibly is hiding the hops a bit.
Next time I will up all hops to 3.5-4g/L( as i do for an AIPA using US hops) ,bitter with magnum and use a less malty yeast like US05.

I brewed up and have on tap right now what I call the Pacific Belgian. It's pretty much a belgian IPA with New Zealand only hops. I used a bunch of New Zealand Hallertau and Pacific Jade for flavor/aroma/dryhopping with the Green Bullet for bittering. It's a weird beer and I'm still kind of undecided how I feel about it. The Pacific Jade lists black pepper corn as a flavor contribution and that really comes through in the finish. It's probably enhanced with some of the Belgian yeast flavor but I would say go light on those because I thought that would be more subdued.

I'm trying to decide if I want to bitter with one of the NZ hops I have, or if I should just cheat a little and grab an oz or two of Magnum. Also, dry hopping...lots to think about! It's gonna be my first brew in a few months, I can't wait:D

I see that Northern Brewer uses Pacific Jade as a FWH in their kiwi IPA. The rest of the hops in the recipe are a blend called "kiwi express." I wish I knew what those hops were!

Any suggestions? My hops have started rolling in, and I'd love to get a batch cooking as soon as I have a few hours away from the obligations of student teaching!

I see that Northern Brewer uses Pacific Jade as a FWH in their kiwi IPA. The rest of the hops in the recipe are a blend called "kiwi express." I wish I knew what those hops were!

I just bought NB's hop blend package. It has 4 oz of Pacific Jade, 2 oz of Wakatu, and 2 oz Kahatu. You can look up NB's kiwi express IPA recipe on their webpage, and it calls for 4 oz of the hop blend during the boil and then dry hopping with another 4 oz of blend.

The guy at NB talked about how amazing the brew was, and that they made a batch of the extract version at the store and it only lasted 3 days in the keg.

I'll be doing an all-grain version of this, and can't wait to do so!

Thanks for the heads up, Peri! I had a pumpkin ale cut the line to appease the lady, but I wanna get to this one quick.

Hey quick question about the kiwi express kit. I am doing the AG kit tomorrow if I am lucky. It calls for 1/2 oz pacific jade at 60, then 3.5 oz of blend at 10, and finally dry hope with 4oz of blend. Is it as simple as mixing the various packages of hops that came with the kit with the exclusion of the 1/2 oz pacific jade used at 60 and pretty much spliting between the 10 minute addition and dry hop adddion, or should it measured with more precision?

thanks!

Hey quick question about the kiwi express kit. I am doing the AG kit tomorrow if I am lucky. It calls for 1/2 oz pacific jade at 60, then 3.5 oz of blend at 10, and finally dry hope with 4oz of blend. Is it as simple as mixing the various packages of hops that came with the kit with the exclusion of the 1/2 oz pacific jade used at 60 and pretty much spliting between the 10 minute addition and dry hop adddion, or should it measured with more precision?

thanks!

What I did was I took out the 1/2 oz out of one of the pacific jade packages for the 60 min. I took the other 1/2 oz of jade and then mixed it with another 1 oz of jade plus 1 oz of wakatu and 1 oz of kahatu for the 3.5 oz addition at 10 min.

Then I have 2 oz of pacific jade, 1 oz of wakatu, and 1 oz of kahatu for the dry hop.

The kit instructions aren't entirely clear but I figured that's what they meant.

That is what I planed on doing... The instructions almost seem like they contain a typo...

How did your brew turn out? I dont do a lot of kits, but I am excited for this one...

Motueka will give you wonderful tropical fruit aroma - think mangos and limes.

Galaxy is a very dank hop - something akin to Simcoe.

Good info, thanks!

Do you think I should stick with the NZ hops and exclude galaxy from this brew? I wouldn't want the dankiness to get in the way of the tropical aroma I'm looking for.

This is the first time I have ever heard Galaxy described as dank.

Every time I use Galaxy it gives a very bright passionfruit aroma.

http://www.nzhops.co.nz/varieties/index.html

For reference...

I've been in NZ for about a year now and have totally love the hops here. I recently made a IIPA and applying a rigorous dry hop schedule, and it came out great. Really amazing smells of tropical fruit... my girl friend swears she smells lychee everytime!

I've actually used that website quite a bit to make sense of what I have. Do you have a hop schedule/recipe that you'd like to share? What you're describing is basically what I'm looking for in this IPA. thanks!

How did your brew turn out? I dont do a lot of kits, but I am excited for this one...

Don't know yet, brewed only 11 days ago. Used San Diego Super Yeast for mine. Fermented fast at 65 degrees. FG is 1.013 and sample tasted great. Will be sending to secondary today.

(I'm thinking about being spontaneous and using the yeast cake for a RIS I've been wanting to brew - maybe I'll do that tonight...got all the ingredients, just need to crush grain!) Should I or shouldn't I?

@flyingfinbar... hope this helps buddy. Its the combination of the Motueka and Nelson Sauvin that really take it to the next level. I did a three stage dry hop over 12 or so days... results were great! The aroma profile for this beer is insane. I mashed low for a fermentable wort, and pitched two packs of US-05. I'm really happy with the beer but it didn't dry up as much as I wanted... FG clocked in around 1.019... I'd have liked a bit lower. This batch took my mash tun to its capacity thats for sure! If you brew it up let me know how you get on!

TBones IIPA!
Imperial IPA

Type: All Grain Date: 17/08/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l Brewer: TBone
Boil Size: 25.81 l Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: TBones All Grain Set up!
End of Boil Volume 23.92 l Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 23.00 l Est Mash Efficiency 72.0 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
6.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 75.0 %
1.00 kg Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 12.5 %
0.50 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.3 %
60.00 g Pacific Jade [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 76.1 IBUs
14.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 5.8 IBUs
14.00 g Motueka [7.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 7.3 IBUs
14.00 g Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 12.6 IBUs
0.30 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 8 -
14.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 2.7 IBUs
14.00 g Motueka [7.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 10 3.5 IBUs
14.00 g Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 11 5.9 IBUs
14.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
14.00 g Motueka [7.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
14.00 g Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 15 -
0.50 kg Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 16 6.3 %
20.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 12.0 Days Hop 17 0.0 IBUs
20.00 g Motueka [7.00 %] - Dry Hop 12.0 Days Hop 18 0.0 IBUs
20.00 g Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 12.0 Days Hop 19 0.0 IBUs
20.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 8.0 Days Hop 20 0.0 IBUs
20.00 g Motueka [7.00 %] - Dry Hop 8.0 Days Hop 21 0.0 IBUs
20.00 g Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 8.0 Days Hop 22 0.0 IBUs
20.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 23 0.0 IBUs
20.00 g Motueka [7.00 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 24 0.0 IBUs
20.00 g Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 25 0.0 IBUs

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.077 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.9 %
Bitterness: 113.9 IBUs
Est Color: 11.1 SRM

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body Total Grain Weight: 8.00 kg
Sparge Water: 1.32 l Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 19.56 l of water at 159.1 F 148.0 F 75 min
Mash Out Add 12.52 l of water at 203.8 F 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge Step: Fly sparge with 1.32 l water at 168.0 F
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).

does the northern brewer kit's kiwi express hop blend tell you what you get? is it just a collection of other labeled and sealed hops?

I thought Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere was always so much better than the Southern.

My fav NZ hops are Galaxy, Green Bullet, Southern Cross, Nelson Sauvin, and Rakau. The others not listed here are just too European in flavor for me.

I thought Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere was always so much better than the Southern.

My fav NZ hops are Galaxy, Green Bullet, Southern Cross, Nelson Sauvin, and Rakau. The others not listed here are just too European in flavor for me.

Galaxy is Australian. ;)

What I did was I took out the 1/2 oz out of one of the pacific jade packages for the 60 min. I took the other 1/2 oz of jade and then mixed it with another 1 oz of jade plus 1 oz of wakatu and 1 oz of kahatu for the 3.5 oz addition at 10 min.

Then I have 2 oz of pacific jade, 1 oz of wakatu, and 1 oz of kahatu for the dry hop.

The kit instructions aren't entirely clear but I figured that's what they meant.

I got the same kit and it came with Pacific Jade, Motueka, and Green Bullet. I'll do .5oz Pacific Jade for 60min, and 1.5oz Pacific Jade, 1oz Motueka, and 1 oz Green Bullet for the 10min addition. That leaves me with 2 oz Pacific Jade, 1 oz Motueka, and 1 oz Green Bullet for the dry hop.

Very cool. I don't know anything about Green Bullet, but if it's like the other NZ or Australian hops, I'm sure it will be the bomb.

I made an IPA with galaxy hops a month ago and just sampled it. It's literally out of this world! (No pun intended) Can't wait until it's ready, it's in secondary, and now I need to dry hop.

NZ Rakau is great too, Id love to do something like nelson,rakau,jade,galaxy,and all the other ones I havent tried yet am curious about.They have been great so far. I particularly liked Sierra Nevadas southern more than the northern due to the NZ hops. Whenever I use NZ hops they always turn out great also.

Latest posts

Back