Hurricane Isaac ruining my beer??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpcoote

Reaction score
I live in New Orleans and I just brewed 10 gallons of brown ale on Sunday. I used a Wyeast London III in one fermenter and a dry American ale in the other (don't remember the manufacturer offhand). The Wyeast finished most of the vigorous fermentation by this morning (Tuesday) but I was still seeing a few bubbles here and there. The American ale yeast was still going strong.

Here's where it gets interesting. Hurricane Isaac just made landfall. A lot of houses have already lost power. The temperature shouldn't get too hot during the storm itself (maybe mid 80s?) but afterward it should be the full brunt of a New Orleans August (high 90s). Im concerned about the temperature of my beer during the one or two days we might be out of power.

Should I be too concerned about this short period if vigorous fermentation has subsided by that time? Or can that still mess things up? If it does produce some off flavors, should I be able to get rid of them through conditioning?

I don't have an answer to your question, but I live just a few hours northeast of you, and we are starting to feel the wind and rain here pretty hard as well. Keep your head down and be safe.

I hope your beer is fine too.

Loot some ice and grab the next cooler that floats by and you'll be ok. Sorry, it's hard not to pass up on an easy low brow joke. In all seriousness, I bet you'll have some off-flavors, but give it a cool name and tell people what happened while it was fermenting and I bet everyone likes it. Tada! You just created a new style called "Anmwe!" and you could name it "Pa kounye-a Isaac!". Ok, that was my phonetic interpretation of creole spelling. Had to ask my brother's friend to say it slowly and that's the best I could do.

I believe after the agressive fermentation phase is over temp is not as critical but I'd still probably try to keep the beer cool, even if not as cool. Do you have something you can put your fermenters in and then fill with water and some frozen bags/bottles/ice ect., t help keep things cool for awhile longer?

Thanks for the replies, guys. As I turns out im trapped at a house other than my own for the night... So far we still have power in the area, so hopefully it stays that way, but if not my beers will just have to hang in there on their own. Hopefully all will turn out well. And if it's somehow undrinkable (which I can't imagine would be the case), then I'll just have to make more then, wont I ? :)

Good luck! I'm up in prairieville, I have an amber that I brewed on Saturday. Fortunately, it looks to be wrapping up. And at least I have a generator, so can probably run the window unit in the storage room every now and again to keep temp reasonable if I lose power.

^^ Nice post! I like your attitude! :mug:

Edit: I like your post and attitude too BrewKnurd! :mug: But got to admit was writing to the OP. :eek:

Good luck! I'm up in prairieville, I have an amber that I brewed on Saturday. Fortunately, it looks to be wrapping up. And at least I have a generator, so can probably run the window unit in the storage room every now and again to keep temp reasonable if I lose power.

That's homebrew dedication. That's what generators are for... Right?! Gotta love the attitude of a homebrewer! :mug:

Back