Dry ice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thaumatourge

Reaction score
So, I have heard of people putting marbles in their secondary to reduce the air at the top. I've also heard of replacing the air with C02. Anybody ever tried dry ice? Drop in a small piece and VERY loosely cap until it calms down.

Just wondering since I have some sitting here.

I'd make sure the dry ice was food grade before using it in the fermenter. I was considering doing something like this, but putting the dry ice into a plastic bottle and using a hose to direct the sublimating CO2 gas into a blanket in the headspace. This should avoid the risk of junk in non-food grade dry ice getting into your mead.

Lol, sounds a lot safer than my method also. Think I will give it a try tonight as I rack my mead over. First batch I have made. Hopefully it's not weed killer.

but putting the dry ice into a plastic bottle and using a hose to direct the sublimating CO2 gas into a blanket in the headspace. This should avoid the risk of junk in non-food grade dry ice getting into your mead.

This would also eliminate the risk of thermally shocking/ shattering/ cracking your carboy

Back