Help me with off flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theo1069

Reaction score
So a few weeks ago I brewed my ESB recipe. It's a pretty straightforward recipe and I have brewed it multiple times without issue. Anyway, I got distracted, overly confident, and ahead of myself and without even thinking ended up doughing the grain into the (preheating) mashtun waaay too early. The water was probably around 190 - 200 degrees which put the mash around 175. By the time I was able to ice it down to the 156 I was shooting for about 30 minutes had passed. I figured the damage was already done, but continued with the brew as usual.... Mostly out of curiosity to see what I would end up with. My rig usually pulls consistent 75-76% efficiency, this only got about 62%. OG 1.054. I was fully expecting astringent off tastes, but other than that had no idea how this would turn out.

Here is where I am confused. My understanding is that by mashing this high I would have extracted more unfermentable sugars, which would produce a very full bodied beer. Because of the high mash, I was expecting a final gravity around 1.02x. FG hit 1.008 which is lower than normal for this recipe. Why would it end lower if there are less fermentable sugars?

I tapped it yesterday. It's not as awful as I thought it would be. Very full bodied, but not sweet at all. The overwhelming off-flavor is a very metallic aftertaste. Like chewing on a penny metallic, that doesn’t come until a few seconds after tasting. The astringency I was expecting is there, but not overwhelming. From what I have researched the metallic taste is almost always attributed to water... Not mash temperature. Like I said, I have brewed this exact recipe multiple times with the same water setup so I'm pretty confident that my water is not the issue. The only explanation I can think of is that the high mash temperature adjusted the PH of the mash which may have caused the metallic taste? Can anyone chime in on this?

I (thankfully) have never really had off flavors before so this is a whole new world to me. Just trying to use my mistake as a learning experience.

This might have to be my first 10 gallons down the drain... :mad:

Did you get a chance to taste any hydrometer samples? The reason I ask is that infection has been documented to sometimes appear as a metallic taste, esp. in darker beers.

Your final gravity might of been lower than you expected because you didn't have as high of an og so it finished lower as well.

Back