Adding brown sugar, when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've found it works best to ladel some of the boiling wort into a bowl and add the sugar to that to dissolve it. Otherwise (especially if it's really dry & clumped brown sugar), it sinks to the bottom and can scorch/burn if you don't turn off the heat.

I generally add simple sugars (brown, cane, corn, honey, etc) a few days into fermentation. Nothing is gained from the boil for the sugars, so I let the yeast start with a lower gravity wort.

It also means I can start fermentation with a smaller volume (less chance of blow-off), and top up a couple of days later.

Boil the sugar in a small amount of water, cool and add to fermenter.

I generally add simple sugars (brown, cane, corn, honey, etc) a few days into fermentation. Nothing is gained from the boil for the sugars, so I let the yeast start with a lower gravity wort.

It also means I can start fermentation with a smaller volume (less chance of blow-off), and top up a couple of days later.

Boil the sugar in a small amount of water, cool and add to fermenter.

So what's the advantage of adding these kinds of sugars? I assume it increased the final alcohol content of the beer? Does it also change the flavor of the final product?

So what's the advantage of adding these kinds of sugars? I assume it increased the final alcohol content of the beer? Does it also change the flavor of the final product?

I would like to know also.

Thanks

yes and yes. Personally I stay away from brown sugar. I find the off flavors it adds to a brew to be particularly harsh.

So you are saying that isn't true for honey/mollasses right?

what type of flavors do they impart to the final product?

I've used honey, molasses, brown sugar, and homemade candi sugar, along with a few other adjuncts. I really didn't notice an effect on the brew when using molasses. If you use any of these products, they will increase the abv, obviously. As for brown sugar, if you use light, I don't think you will get anything but extra abv. Dark brown sugar, from what I've read, will lend rum notes to the brew. Dark candi sugar, from my reading, will lend toffee notes; clear candi sugar will only increase abv. I like the addition of brown sugar to a brew and usually go for dark brown sugar; same with candi sugar. Of course, this depends on the brew I'm making.

Back