Trying To Referment Bottled Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottmd06

Reaction score
I have about 13 bottles left of an old English Brown that was too bitter for me. Id like to empty the bottles, add about a gallon of water and some more fermentables. How can I do this? Not sure if the existing yeast will take to the sugar, or if I should pitch a new yeast. Thanks!

It will be a lot easier to just leave them in a cool corner for 2-3 months. The bitterness will fade.

So pitching fresh yeast would do the trick if I emptied the beer into a fermenter and let the carbonation go?

Well, if you think that watering down the beer, oxiding it by pouring it into a fermenter, and adding fresh yeast and fermentables would improve it, it must be horrible beyond belief. I think you'll do far more harm than good, and still have a sucky beer.

Sometimes you just gotta cut your losses. Spending more money to save a beer that will end up being oxidized doesn't seem like a great idea to me. Just my thoughts!

I added a pound of brown sugar, which is a dollar, the gallon of water was $.25 to refill at my filter station, and a pack of Safeale 5. I lost maybe $5 to gain another gallon of beer and the experiment a little.. Money worth spent.

+1 experimentation...
Some of my experiments turned out to be great products...
Then again, other ones fed the gators in the sewer.
Good luck!

I should have!!! Turned into an infection nightmare. This fermenter ended up having a bad scratch in the plastic that must have harbored some fugitives. Going to look for another English Brown recipe that's more to my liking to begin with next time. Thanks!

well then id argue its money well-spent. you lost 13 bottles of crappy beer and 5 dollars in ingredients discovering an infection that would have ruined an entire batch. looks to me like your curiosity paid off handsomely.

well then id argue its money well-spent. you lost 13 bottles of crappy beer and 5 dollars in ingredients discovering an infection that would have ruined an entire batch. looks to me like your curiosity paid off handsomely.

I like the way you think!:rockin:

Just give them to somebody who likes them. Once a beer is bottle aged, other than blending, there is not much you can do.

Back