Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you guys think about pressure fermentations? Time for a poll.

• I've done it and I liked it just fine!

• I've done it, nothing wrong with it, but prefer normal fermentation techniques.

• I've done it, hate it, and never will do it again!

• I've never done it, but it is on my list!

• I've never done anything. I only brew beer in my mind.

Results are only viewable after voting.
See, Dgonza9 is doing it ALL WRONG and his beer is turning out great! LOL, ;) That's one fine cat pelt you got there sir. Skin that putty any way you can... RIGHT? It all works, just do it to make your life easier.

D, love that RIMS tube buddy. Nice setup!

Hey there closed pressure dudes. A quick update on my stuck backyard Pale Ale from a few weeks ago. It never made it's target FG but I went through kegging it anyway. Unfortunately this became my first batch down the drain ever. Two major issues happened. My AA were way off he freaking chart. Being that they were grown in the backyard I have no idea what their AA were. Anyhoo, tihe beer looked beautiful but could be used to clean toilets and Ram's piss woudd prolly taste better( or train you for beer drinking contests).

I just kegged an IPA that was freaking delishi and well received by our dinner guests. They couldnt believe that I had just kegged the beer that morning and that it was so good that soon. I just love pressure fermentation.

My SWMBO has requested a lager and I have an American, bavarian, and pilsner yeast to work with. Anyone have a SWMBO slayer that've pressure fermented and was a hit?

I did a Czech pils with just pilsner malt that was wonderful. Weirdly enough it was slightly sweet until the keg was almost gone. I did a low mash temperature and a very long primary. It was also cut with water to make it lighter, but at over 5% it slayed everyone that drank it. Sacch did a warmer fermented lager under pressure he said was great.

Hey all,

I'd like to say I read all of this post, but I crapped out after 50 pages. Please forgive me if these questions have already been answered. Long story short, I'm looking to use cornies for now while I look for a legal way to obtain a pony keg. So here's what's still rattling around in my head:

1. Regarding ester suppression and fermentation temperature: what if your beer style is an estery one? One of the benefits listed is lower ester production which allows for higher fermentation temps. However, my normal hiding spot for my fermenter is about 64F in the winter. If I ferment under pressure, will I risk making something too "clean" for those styles unless I move it to a warmer part of the house?

2. To the guys using a soda bottle as a catch can: how do you tie it in to the system? Do the threads match fittings I can find at a hardware store or when I place my order at McMaster/Grainger?

3. My normal practice is to cold crash the fermenter and add gelatin to the keg before racking. Is this even necessary if I put a racking tip on the dip tube and draw off a pint or two before doing the counterpressure transfer? Or, if I'm spending a few bucks anyway, should I just get myself a filter?

4. I'm also intrigued by the "high gravity" method (blending in plain H20 at the end), but that idea seemed to get abandoned pretty early in the thread. Any comments from the folks who have tried it?

Thanks,

I'm on my third 15 gal batch of closed pressure fermentation. The technique has a lot of appeal for me in its simplicity, but I must admit I've been very frustrated during high krausen.

I know I only have 0.5 gal of head space but I thought I could get away with it.

I used 2 drops of fermcap S per gal on the second batch and I'm not sure it made any difference. Forgot to use it on this third batch and I've got a mess.

It only takes a small bit of hop particulate to clog the PRV then the pressure quickly goes to 20. I've taken it off several times to clean it out but it plugs in just a few seconds.

I finally gave up and put a blow off tube on my setup. In another 24 hours when things settle down I'll put the PRV back on and start to dial it up.

Any other suggestions??? :confused:

Hey all,

I'd like to say I read all of this post, but I crapped out after 50 pages. Please forgive me if these questions have already been answered. Long story short, I'm looking to use cornies for now while I look for a legal way to obtain a pony keg. So here's what's still rattling around in my head:

1. Regarding ester suppression and fermentation temperature: what if your beer style is an estery one? One of the benefits listed is lower ester production which allows for higher fermentation temps. However, my normal hiding spot for my fermenter is about 64F in the winter. If I ferment under pressure, will I risk making something too "clean" for those styles unless I move it to a warmer part of the house?
I can only assume that it will make a beer too un-estery. In theory from the research, yes. You would have to do your own experiments to conclude what is proposed from the lessening ester formation, ie. maybe a higher temperature fermentation. I just don't know because clean beers are all I have been after in my pursuits.
2. To the guys using a soda bottle as a catch can: how do you tie it in to the system? Do the threads match fittings I can find at a hardware store or when I place my order at McMaster/Grainger?
I don't know of anyone using the soda bottles as of yet. I proposed it as an idea I would like to try to keep my equipment from being gunked up with the little bit (but still annoying) of krausening yeast that comes out during the ferment. If you rig something up and use it, please let us all know how it turned out for you.
3. My normal practice is to cold crash the fermenter and add gelatin to the keg before racking. Is this even necessary if I put a racking tip on the dip tube and draw off a pint or two before doing the counterpressure transfer? Or, if I'm spending a few bucks anyway, should I just get myself a filter?
Again, up for debate. Adding gelatin would be great, but you can't and keep a closed system. I had no problem transferring after enough time to get relatively yeast free beer in a transfer keg. The little bit that got in at the start was easily drawn off in the first couple of pints after tapping to serve. I do recommend a filter, and have gone that route now myself. I have been using it pre-tap, but planned on using it during my counter-pressure transfer from primary to serving keg. It has just worked out this time to use it in the fashion I am.
4. I'm also intrigued by the "high gravity" method (blending in plain H20 at the end), but that idea seemed to get abandoned pretty early in the thread. Any comments from the folks who have tried it?

Thanks,
Not abandoned, just not the focus of the thread so I don't elaborate much about it. I really enjoy brewing 12 gallons in my kettle and then using the last 3 to help start my chill and get my finishing volume. I wrote a wiki article about it as well as closed-system pressure fermentation.
I'm on my third 15 gal batch of closed pressure fermentation. The technique has a lot of appeal for me in its simplicity, but I must admit I've been very frustrated during high krausen.

I know I only have 0.5 gal of head space but I thought I could get away with it.

I used 2 drops of fermcap S per gal on the second batch and I'm not sure it made any difference. Forgot to use it on this third batch and I've got a mess.

It only takes a small bit of hop particulate to clog the PRV then the pressure quickly goes to 20. I've taken it off several times to clean it out but it plugs in just a few seconds.

I finally gave up and put a blow off tube on my setup. In another 24 hours when things settle down I'll put the PRV back on and start to dial it up.

Any other suggestions??? :confused:
Sorry to hear that, but completely understand going to a blow off tube. The spunding technique will probably do you better at the end of primary, and as you know is easy enough to hook up at that point to get your natural carbonation. This last experiment was all higher pressures and I still got dirty. Waste was kept to a small amount, but lets face it... even the smallest bit of krausen in your equipment is nasty. I ended up with a little over a cup of liquid nastiness on the floor around my keg this past brew. The wife was not happy and I had to keep removing the spunding valve assembly and cleaning it to make sure I didn't have an excessive pressure build up. My fault for getting greedy with fermentor space, but worth it because it means I have to come up with a way to get past that... and I love a good challenge.:rockin:

Wort

The wiki looks great!! A couple of feedback points if I may...

The link for "lautering grant is part of my pump setup" under the procedure paragraph does not work.

Typo under summary of process, the paragraph after #4, first line "and then spund at the lest part of primary" should be last.

Other than those small details, I thought it was awesome!

In the wiki you state "I like to go with higher pressures from the start to keep my krausen down". Do you think this really makes a difference? Any drawbacks in doing so? The pressures you described on your latest brown are much higher than what you were doing earlier in the thread.

I went with the blow off tube for the first 24-36 hours on my Kolsch, it was far less messy, but I don't want to get kicked out of the "club" for using a blow off! :D

Nice wiki update. It has a very good explanation of the process. I thin ksome more info about the actual pressures used and their impact would be good; it's the item that I have the most quesitons about.

Kaiser has mentioend that fermenting at 5psi was similar to the hydrostatic pressure experienced in larger breweries, so he didn't consider it to truly be under-pressure.

He also had that fun graph :)

One thing also to mention was in that last interview with Jamil and Palmer, they talked about how autolysis not happening in homebreweries might be due to the decreased pressure that the yeast at the bottom of the fermenter experience due to the size/shape of our fermenters. But leaving a fermented brew on the yeast for 1+ month under pressure might? dunno.

I have my batch in the corny going right now. I put ~6 feet of tubing between the quick disconnect and the spunding valve and coiled it up. That way I figure that if I do end up with blowoff, it won't make it to the valve, and I can quickly disconnect the tubing and flush it if need be.

I didn't aerate, but made a large starter from real wort (since i no chilled the batch), pitched at high krausen after letting it sit overnight and 5 hours later has it ramp up to 5+ psi, so it went pretty well. I have the valve set for 10 psi, and will jack it up after a couple of days I think.

On that valve, how many turns approximately per psi? Say, if I want to go up 5 psi from where I'm at, is that 1 turn, 5 turns, 10 turns?

I think that I'm going to dry hop by depressurizing after final pressure and diacetyl rest, putting the hops in, then cold crash for a week and then counter-pressure transfer. Although I might put the hops in another corny, purge it with CO2, then transfer that across. Then after a week, transfer again....that might be a bit better, and give me clearer beer in the end...

My main concerns at this point are 1) Clogging my dip tube since I didn't do a stellar job of removing the trub and 2) I wildly missed my mash-in temp (aka, may have denatured the enzymes), so the ferment might stop a bit early and I may need to push it further with some amylase enzyme to get it down to the desired FG.

Wort

The wiki looks great!! A couple of feedback points if I may...

The link for "lautering grant is part of my pump setup" under the procedure paragraph does not work.

Typo under summary of process, the paragraph after #4, first line "and then spund at the lest part of primary" should be last.

Other than those small details, I thought it was awesome!

In the wiki you state "I like to go with higher pressures from the start to keep my krausen down". Do you think this really makes a difference? Any drawbacks in doing so? The pressures you described on your latest brown are much higher than what you were doing earlier in the thread.

I went with the blow off tube for the first 24-36 hours on my Kolsch, it was far less messy, but I don't want to get kicked out of the "club" for using a blow off! :D
Thanks for that. I normally have to wait a day to go back and re-read to find my typos after reading and writing so much. Glad you like it, and the pressures I use are much higher than talked about. I now go balls to the wall from the get go. I am trying for an easy beer, so my experiments of late have been 70-72*F ferments at carbonation pressures. So, 30-32 psi are not out of the question.

This brown is very clean, so I can only suspect the higher pressure had no ill effect. Then again, I did rouse the yeast very often for a week after primary was done. So, that might have made the beer finish cleaner than if you just let it sit there. Too many variables, and this is why a person needs to try it very simplistically and expand from there. I ruined one batch ever from pressure fermentation, and that was due mostly to recipe and then fast removal from the yeast.

Also, open ferment followed by spunding is awesome... just not the kind of thing this thread is specific on. This thread is mainly about fermenting under pressure. Even if that is just to equate to big uni-tank hydrostatic pressure. It is still under pressure, isn't it? ;)
Nice wiki update. It has a very good explanation of the process. I thin ksome more info about the actual pressures used and their impact would be good; it's the item that I have the most quesitons about.

Kaiser has mentioend that fermenting at 5psi was similar to the hydrostatic pressure experienced in larger breweries, so he didn't consider it to truly be under-pressure.

He also had that fun graph :)

One thing also to mention was in that last interview with Jamil and Palmer, they talked about how autolysis not happening in homebreweries might be due to the decreased pressure that the yeast at the bottom of the fermenter experience due to the size/shape of our fermenters. But leaving a fermented brew on the yeast for 1+ month under pressure might? dunno.

I have my batch in the corny going right now. I put ~6 feet of tubing between the quick disconnect and the spunding valve and coiled it up. That way I figure that if I do end up with blowoff, it won't make it to the valve, and I can quickly disconnect the tubing and flush it if need be.

I didn't aerate, but made a large starter from real wort (since i no chilled the batch), pitched at high krausen after letting it sit overnight and 5 hours later has it ramp up to 5+ psi, so it went pretty well. I have the valve set for 10 psi, and will jack it up after a couple of days I think.

On that valve, how many turns approximately per psi? Say, if I want to go up 5 psi from where I'm at, is that 1 turn, 5 turns, 10 turns?

I think that I'm going to dry hop by depressurizing after final pressure and diacetyl rest, putting the hops in, then cold crash for a week and then counter-pressure transfer. Although I might put the hops in another corny, purge it with CO2, then transfer that across. Then after a week, transfer again....that might be a bit better, and give me clearer beer in the end...

My main concerns at this point are 1) Clogging my dip tube since I didn't do a stellar job of removing the trub and 2) I wildly missed my mash-in temp (aka, may have denatured the enzymes), so the ferment might stop a bit early and I may need to push it further with some amylase enzyme to get it down to the desired FG.
Yeah, pressures used are so variable I don't feel comfortable posting them as a "how to."

It is true that 5-7 psi is an equation to hydrostatic pressures in a large uni-tank type fermentor. I still consider it pressure fermentation, but believe that higher pressures are where it is at with this technique.

The autolysis from higher pressure might be an issue, but i recommend removing the beer from the yeast as soon as the yeast has done its job, so this shouldn't be an issue if your process incorporates this. However, I have had this brown on yeast the entire time with no ill-effects.

I don't know how your equipment works for pressure increases an what-not, so i cannot talk about them accurately.

Whatever you want to do with dry-hopping is up to you, but i don't see a problem with it. you could even over-carbonate your beer prior to dry-hopping and use the spunding valve later to get to wanted carbonation volume if you wanted to. Lots of ideas to try, so do one and let us know how it turned out for you.:rockin:

I don't know how your equipment works for pressure increases an what-not, so i cannot talk about them accurately.

Whatever you want to do with dry-hopping is up to you, but i don't see a problem with it. you could even over-carbonate your beer prior to dry-hopping and use the spunding valve later to get to wanted carbonation volume if you wanted to. Lots of ideas to try, so do one and let us know how it turned out for you.:rockin:

I have the same spunding valve as you do (the McMaster Carr number item). I needed to up the psi, so I turned it about 5 turns. Don't know how much that changes things :) I guess that I'll see tomorrow, lol.

It seems like your beer knowledge has jumped a level. Wish I had a sample of that "Big Lebowski" to share with you......

kaiser423, I am using one with numbers now... which is still pointless as for accuracy. The brass one I have only releases 20 psi and below, so I had to crash cool before using it to finalize carbonation volumes. I think 5 turns should get you a bit higher psi. What exactly are you going for psi-wise?

Hey guys. I'm still just gathering equipment and checking back in for updates. Regarding the crap coming through the spunding valve, is there any reason you couldn't use your filter housing as a catch can? I believe home water pressure can be as high as 80 psi, so it should hold, right? I've seen opaque ones for as little as 20-some bucks, so even with a few dollars of fittings, it seems like a fairly cheap way to insure against clogging your spunding valve.

kaiser423, I am using one with numbers now... which is still pointless as for accuracy. The brass one I have only releases 20 psi and below, so I had to crash cool before using it to finalize carbonation volumes. I think 5 turns should get you a bit higher psi. What exactly are you going for psi-wise?

I started at 10, then was quickly going to ramp up to 30 after the first day.

Buuuut, I used a corny that apparently doesn't have that great of a seal (just took some spare that I hadn't used in a while and cleaned it up). I made it up to 14psi after cranking it down, and then it's decreased from there to where I only have a couple of psi right now.

That's why I was askign about the one valve (mine's not the bras, but rather the plastic one with the knob). I cranked 5 turns on it, next morning it had only gone from 10-12psi. Cranked ten more turns, came home it was at 14psi, and stayed there for a day.

Turns out that I had probably set the valve pretty high, but the leak was keeping it from truly ramping up.

Still pretty impressed that even with a leak the fermentation pushed it to 14+psi.

As far as clogging. I had a bit of krausen get up, but I had two loops of hose before my spundling valve, so it kinda just stayed in the hose. If it clogged the hose, I could have just popped it off and rinsed it real quick.

Hey guys. I'm still just gathering equipment and checking back in for updates. Regarding the crap coming through the spunding valve, is there any reason you couldn't use your filter housing as a catch can? I believe home water pressure can be as high as 80 psi, so it should hold, right? I've seen opaque ones for as little as 20-some bucks, so even with a few dollars of fittings, it seems like a fairly cheap way to insure against clogging your spunding valve.
I had the very same idea, and yes I think it would work great... if you can attach a piece of tubing to get from the normally out port to the bottom of the housing, and run the housing in reverse so that the normally in port has the gas coming out. That way all your liquids and bubbles are at the bottom of the housing and only clean gas is expelled from the housing and spunding valve. The housing will handle the pressures you would be using for this project no problem.
I started at 10, then was quickly going to ramp up to 30 after the first day.

Buuuut, I used a corny that apparently doesn't have that great of a seal (just took some spare that I hadn't used in a while and cleaned it up). I made it up to 14psi after cranking it down, and then it's decreased from there to where I only have a couple of psi right now.

That's why I was askign about the one valve (mine's not the bras, but rather the plastic one with the knob). I cranked 5 turns on it, next morning it had only gone from 10-12psi. Cranked ten more turns, came home it was at 14psi, and stayed there for a day.

Turns out that I had probably set the valve pretty high, but the leak was keeping it from truly ramping up.

Still pretty impressed that even with a leak the fermentation pushed it to 14+psi.

As far as clogging. I had a bit of krausen get up, but I had two loops of hose before my spundling valve, so it kinda just stayed in the hose. If it clogged the hose, I could have just popped it off and rinsed it real quick.
Yeah, I guess you should do what I do now. When you want to increase the pressure close it up completely. Then slowly open it up once you are over-pressured until you get to the sweet spot of wanted pressure release. It works well except during active primary fermentation. for that you need to have everything set and ready to ride out the storm.:cross:

On a side note, my brown where I missed the mash temperature, no sparge, no chill, pressure ferment tastes freaking amazing when I tried it today. About time to dry hop for a week then put on tap. Yay to cutting my equipment and time way down.

Great news kaiser423! Hope it finishes perfectly for you. I just floated my 15 gallons of brown :(. Oh well, now I have to brew this weekend.

I think this is a great idea. I was thinking of ways to keep my valve from plugging with hop particulate in the krausen. This seems like it would work sweet!! :D

I had the very same idea, and yes I think it would work great... if you can attach a piece of tubing to get from the normally out port to the bottom of the housing, and run the housing in reverse so that the normally in port has the gas coming out. That way all your liquids and bubbles are at the bottom of the housing and only clean gas is expelled from the housing and spunding valve. The housing will handle the pressures you would be using for this project no problem.
Wort

I don't get why you'd want to run it in reverse?? Why not just run it like you were filtering from your fermenter to serving vessel? The only difference is instead of clear beer coming out you've got clear CO2 and an S valve that doesn't plug...

Because if you were to run it without a filter cartridge in it (which why would you want to), the two holes inside the housing are so close together that some of the foam would go out of the center (out port) before it would fall to the bottom of the filter housing. By running it backwards, with a hose to take it to the bottom first, the foam would have to rise to the gas exit (normally liquid in port). I would want some anti-foam in the housing as well to mix with the foamy krausen to really keep it tamed down.

Ok, finished up brewing a beer named Mooney last night. 14# Munich, 2# Pale Ale, 2# Wheat, 2# pre-cooked rice, 1# Crystal 40*L, and .25 Chocolate 400*L. 4 oz Spalt @ 60 min, 1 oz Liberty @ Flame-out. Mashed for 2 hours @ 154 dropping to 148 at lauter.

Went very well, and transferred into a previously used fermentor keg on top of US-05. I am not showing a pressure level on my gauge as of 5:00pm today, but there is pressure in the keg. I bet I show something tomorrow on the gauge. I guess we will see where I go from here. I'll keep you guys posted on my latest P-ferment.

I'll keep you guys posted on my latest P-ferment.

Thanks a lot Wortmonger. I appreciate the updates and clarifications, your recent additions to this thread has given me confidence to try a pressurized ferment for my next brew.

We have readable pressure... 2 psi! LOL, well it is at 60.8*F after all. I have been un-tapping and turning on its side to roll it so the yeast stays suspended more than it would if left still. I will really see just how clean this yeast can be on this one. Oh well, when you are left with relying on your HVAC to control your temperature I guess this is as good as is expected. Bet it turns out great!

Up to 8 psi right now! She's cookin' right along. Still shaking and rolling everyday just to get as much attenuation as possible. Does anyone else have a beer update for their P-ferments?

Finished up another dark crystal IPA on PAC Man that is fantastic. I'm about to prep up a batch of swmbo slayer pale then once that's done, I'm going start on a spring lager since I'll have about 15 gal of beer on draft.

I did end up dumping my backyard hop ale. My backyard hops were a whole lot hoppier than planned and it was totally undrinkable. Part of it may also have had to do with my reuse of my yeast.

Anyway, pressure ferm to filter direct to keg is the tops! I love the fact that the beer doesn't touch the air until it's in my glass and that I can pour a full pint the moment it's in the keg and enjoy my labor.

Have you done any tests to see if the shaking and rolling actually increases attenuation?

No tests needed! Keeping yeast in suspension definitely helps with attenuation, as well as cleaning up. Two examples of either: stir-plate and Budweiser using beechwood chips. The first also allows O2, but the fact that it is suspended is why it finishes so quick. The second shows how greater surface area of yeast to beer allows faster maturation. I guess two more great things about a keg compared to a carboy, lol.:rockin:

Wow, shot up to 30 psi this afternoon. That yeast started going to work full time and now can afford child support payments, and braces for its English strain son. ;)

Going to have to mod my brewhemoth and try this idea out. They tested it to 150psi, so 30 should be no problem. I'm most interested in the ideas about keeping krausen out of the overpressure device/pressure gauge. That seems pretty important to have for reliability. I will probably also have another overpressure relief for redundancy.

The sweet thing about using a Sanke tap connector is the built in tap pressure relief. I really like that the Brewhemoth was tested to such high pressures. Gives me hope for a conical in my future maybe.

Sent from my iPod touch using HB Talk

Ok this is weird. I smell the SV today and it smells wonderful, but the smell is just like the mash run during the brewing. I guess this much Munich in a beer will do this, but never having done one with this much Munich I wouldn't know. I think those beer is going to be very malty and delicious.

This thing sux.

Just turn of "Send Signature" in the settings:

W5Ryc.png

Yeah, I got that. I just wanted to edit my screw-ups and it ended up quoting myself. Thanks though. I find it harder to use than the regular site unless you have everything in your subscribed threads. Maybe more time and I will like it better.

The sweet thing about using a Sanke tap connector is the built in tap pressure relief. I really like that the Brewhemoth was tested to such high pressures. Gives me hope for a conical in my future maybe.

Interesting. I've heard you say this before. Why would you move to a conical? You seem to have a pretty good thing goin there.
My Brewrig is nearly finished, and will be doing mostly 10 gal batches from here on out. Using cornys for fermenting now, but will be moving to 'some kind' of larger vessel soon.

Back