Event In Tampa, FL For National Homebrew Day, Saturday, May 1st

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JakeTheHopDog

Reaction score
Recieved this today about their event. Any Tampa area brewers going?

Southern Brewing & Winemaking National Homebrew Day Event In Tampa

Greetings from the new email home of Southern Brewing & Winemaking!

Big Brew Day!

National Homebrew Day is rapidly approaching, and we’re planning our very own Big Brew Day here at the shop. Not familiar with the Big Brew?? In celebration of national homebrew day, the American Homebrewers Association organizes a world-wide brew day. This is a chance for brewers to come together, learn about and share beer. Last year more than 5,000 people celebrated by brewing over 13,000 gallons of beer on six continents.

We will be doing our part right here in Tampa, and we invite you to join us! Bring out your equipment and brew with us or stop by and meet other brewers from around the area. If you are new to brewing, this is a great chance to learn more about making beer.

Anyone who brews with us on Saturday will also receive additional discounts off their grain and hops. If you are a local beer club member, you will save even more!

Southern Brewing & Winemaking will be providing free food and drinks to those who attend. We recommend bringing a pop-up shade tent if you have one.

The Big Brew begins at the shop @ 10am Saturday, May 1st. If you are interested in brewing on Saturday, e-mail us and let us know. If you have any other questions, please feel free to email or call.

Our Address:
1717 E. Busch Blvd Suite #805
Tampa, FL 33612
(813) 374-2174
[email protected]

I'll see if I can make it. Never been there before. Sounds like it might be fun.

Thanks for posting this!

I just moved to Tampa, I stopped by their store last month when I was here for a visit and it's a great store... I'm certainly going to try and make it.... This will be a good a excuse for me to buy my new Banjo burner!

Welcome to Tampa, Jersh. I'll be out there for sure. I'd like to talk to some folks about AG brewing, so this should provide a wealth in info. Hope to see you and Morbo out there, and other Tampa area brewers.

Sounds good Keith! I'll be brewing an AG batch so I'd be happy to talk with you about it!

Just confirmed I'm off work for the weekend so it should be a go. Looking forward to meeting some fellow brewers. Unless something crazy happens I'll be there.

Should be a great time. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Hey Jeremy,
Could you bring your recipe for your Choc Coffee Stout? That's my next brew, right after my Two Hearted Ale.

Does anyone happen to have an extra EZ up canopy that I could borrow? I haven't been able to get my hands on one and I don't want to get totally fried while I'm out there.

Disregard my previous post... I found a pop-up canopy today at BigLots for $70.... It's probably a POS but hopefully it will last for a few uses at least

Should be a great time. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Hey Jeremy,
Could you bring your recipe for your Choc Coffee Stout? That's my next brew, right after my Two Hearted Ale.

We actually have some hidden away in the cooler right now.:cross:

frogguruami,
You need to come to Tampa instead.
And bring some of the Thai Pepper Mead! Bet that's got some kick! :eek:

You'll have to come to Downtown Orl for the Florida International Beer Fest May 15th. Our club is serving there. We will be serving between 6 to 8 different homebrews. One of which will be the sparkling thai pepper mead that will be paired with a hop sorbet...:drunk:

You'll have to come to Downtown Orl for the Florida International Beer Fest May 15th. Our club is serving there. We will be serving between 6 to 8 different homebrews. One of which will be the sparkling thai pepper mead that will be paired with a hop sorbet...:drunk:

Yea, I saw that posted somewhere and it's on my calendar. What is your club name so I can find you, and your mead & sorbet? :tank:

Well I'm very excited for the Big Brew Day this weekend, hopefully the weather holds out for us.

This is going to be my first time brewing away from home, so I just wanted to check in and see if anyone has any pointers on things to bring that I might not think about...

Thankfully there will be plenty of other brewers there, so I'm sure if I forget an essential I can either buy it at Southern or borrow from someone else...

So what say you, do you have any advice for a first-time Big Brew Day participant?

I guess I’d say the big thing is a full propane tank. It would suck to run out half way through a boil!

Yeah I'm definitely bringing a full tank... This should be an interesting day for me, this will also be my first time brewing on my new burner... I've previously brewed all my batches inside on the stove. I did a test boil the other night with some water just to make sure I could get a nice boil, and it brought ~6 gallons of water from 80F to boiling in about 25 minutes, which is pretty dang good compared to what the stove would do. I'm going to do another test boil with water on Friday to try and figure out a boil-off rate for the new setup.

if you have any shorter sections of hose and splitters, bring them along. We'll have 250-300ft of hose and splitters, but extras can't hurt.

other than that... maybe a chair, a shade tent or sunscreen.:D

Back