Irish Moss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildGingerBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I usually add Irish Moss to all of my beers, but today I got to thinking, "Is there any reason to add it a dark beer"? Since it is added for a more clear beer, what's the point with a dark beer?

:mug:

Less suspended protein = less beer farts. I add irish moss (and sometimes gelatin) to all of my brews now. It keeps the air in my garage breathable.

Not to mention that haze is associated with long term flavor instability. I think I read that in either Fix or Noonan... if someone actually wants a reference, I can go look for it.

I went the other direction. I used to add Irish moss to everything. Now I add it to nothing.

I refuse to fear yeast, haze, or beer farts anymore.

I have no problems with beer farts, cuz I'm a guy and farting is what I do. Haze and ill tasting beer though, are another thing. I forgot to put in the brew yesterday, so I guess we'll see how it turns out.

I have beers that I'm drinking that are two years old. No Irish moss, no flavor instability. Don't worry about it

It'll help the beer be ready faster, that "green" taste is gone more quickly if you use any kind of clarifyer IMHO.

Back