Propane burner substitute?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zplug123

Reaction score
It seems that my county has a ban on propane burners on and near multi-family housing, the HOA on my place has warned me of a $500 fine if I use my turkey burner again.

However, the fire department says that an electric heater is allowable. I make 5 gallon batches in a 44 quart kettle; is there a suitable alternative to a propane burner (preferably electricity)?

Have you looked at heat sticks? Try searching on these. Zymurgy also had a nice how-to article in the January/February 2008 issue (volume 31 no. 1). These might address your issue. Basically an electric water heater heating element on a piece of pipe.

If you want o boil for 5 gallon batches, 5500W heating elements work excellent!

Another option is natural gas if you don't want to go the electricity route.
BTW, the 5500W element mentioned above is at 240V. :)
2000W element is enough to do boils for a 5 gallon batch, only much slower. The advantage is that you don't have to do the wiring for 240V :)

Another option is natural gas if you don't want to go the electricity route.
BTW, the 5500W element mentioned above is at 240V. :)
2000W element is enough to do boils for a 5 gallon batch, only much slower. The advantage is that you don't have to do the wiring for 240V :)

If I turn my 5500W element down to 2000W, with 7 gallons of wort, it wont boil at all FWIW. I need at least 3,700 to get a nice rolling boil.

I would also assume that if propane burners are prohibited, high BTU open natural gas burners would be too, there is no real difference is there?

You are a more credible source for electric info than me. Doing a quick google search on the topic, looks like other people agree with you.
Another option is 2x2000W elements on separate breakers. Use 2 to achieve a boil and 1 to maintain a boil. I think that might be possible.

As for natural gas vs propane, the difference is in the wording of the legal document for the ban. Besides, many people use natural gas as a heating and cooking source. I cannot see a ban on that to stick.

You are a more credible source for electric info than me. Doing a quick google search on the topic, looks like other people agree with you.
Another option is 2x2000W elements on separate breakers. Use 2 to achieve a boil and 1 to maintain a boil. I think that might be possible.

As for natural gas vs propane, the difference is in the wording of the legal document for the ban. Besides, many people use natural gas as a heating and cooking source. I cannot see a ban on that to stick.

People also use propane as a heating and cooking source.

The concern is the fire hazard posed by these open high BTU burners, not the fuel that is used in them. Just a thought. Id bet the neighborhood would pursue this anyway.

Also, even if he has natural gas, he would have to get that plumbed to where he can access it in his garage. It would be cheaper to wire in a simple 240VAC outlet. It took me all of an hour and about $80.

It is a common law that prohibits open flame within 100, s'times 500, foot from multi-family dwellings.

Wonder how many of your neighbors also grill in their yards. Turn about is fair play.

Back